Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbkim

Noise Mitigating Windows - Laminate vs dissimilar glass

sbkim
12 years ago

hello everyone and thank you so much for the amazing forum and great info! I am a long time reader but a first time poster.

I know there has been many posts on similar topic but I wanted to reach out to our subject matter experts (e.g. Oberon) to see your thoughts.

I am currently building a house in Chicago suburbs and unfortunately directly under landing pattern at various times throughout the month. Airport is about 10 miles away and noises can be annoying.

We have an opportunity to noiseproof our master bedroom and I am planning to use Green glue and their techniques (staggard wall etc) to maximize STC. However, I am still not decided on what to do about windows. The builder is planning to use Jeld Wen Siteline EX (casement clad windows). I know JW is not highly regarded here at times but that is the brand that the builder has chosen.

As per their webiste, they post their Siteline EX clad offers about 34 STC and 28 OITC using dissimiar glass option (1/8" and 1/4"). I would like to find out more about the air gap but have not seen any info yet but I am hoping that it's greater than 1/2".

Now, here is my question. JW is offering laminiated glass option feature 7/32 and 13/32 (??? I could be mistaken by these sizes) and I am curious if they are worth the upgrade from just dissimlar glass option. JW isn't offering any STC/OITC rating for laminate at this time.

I would prefer not to do 2nd window installation for aesthetics and given that the noises aren't that bad but I would like to minimize airplane (low frequency) to the fullest extent possible during new construction.

I apologize in advance for the long post and look forward to being an active member on the forum!

Comments (3)