Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remodnana

Experience with Anderson 400 series

remodnana
11 years ago

Hello fellow Garden Webbers. We recently finished our lower level renovation and purchased over $7500 in Anderson windows, 400 series, I thought you might be interested in what we encountered. On our screen in porch, we installed (contractor) a wall of ceiling to floor stain grade windows and french door. Our door arrived with what appeared to be sap stains and required extensive additional prep work by our crew---Anderson refused to compensate us for the additional expense, even though we were advised by their retailer to do whatever was necessary to get the door installed while our contractor was on site.

In the end, they sent us a replacement door, which we appreciated, but will result in more expense to have installed door removed, new staining and installation. All of the door frame trim was also cut too short at factory--no replacement or gestures made. Cannot comment on product satisfaction yet, but we are disappointed with all of this.

Comments (5)

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

If you paid for all of the extra prep work to get rid of the staining, why did you get a replacement door? Secondly, while Andersen is not my favorite product, every manufacturer has their share of issues now and then. I would never advise anyone to install a product that would likely need to be removed and replaced.
    I'm am very sympathetic to your situation, but I'd direct my frustration toward the retailer that told you to have the door installed rather than the manufacturer.
    Hopefully things turn around and you are happy when all is said and done :)

• Tim
    11 years ago

How are the windows? I'm expecting 17 A Series double hung to be installed in about 5 weeks. Considered the 400 Woodwright but we opted for the A Series more traditional look.

• remodnana
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi HomeSealed, Anderson just sent us a door instead of reimbursement of the extra charges and we are frustrated with our retailer and will likely finish the house with someone else. Of course we were paying for a construction crew and couldn't hold up the installation--they would have not gone for that.

TorontoTim---We like the windows, so far. They are new. Good luck with your project.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

Had you conveyed to them(Andersen) that the problem had already been rectified? Just seems strange that they would send another door, and that you would pay extra to have that new door finished and installed if the other one had already been fixed to your liking.
    On the construction crew, if you are writing the checks, you are the one that dictates what gets done whether they like it or not. Certainly this whole situation would delay the project, but that was the choice you had: delay or possibly pay twice. Either way it stinks, but such is life in the construction business.
    Glad you like them so far. Hopefully a happy ending :)

• remodnana
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi HomeSealed, yes we have conveyed and we didn't ask for a new door. I guess if the door couldn't have been made presentable, we would have approached the situation differently.

On a different note though; last night it got down to the 20's temp and I heard popping (thermal changes?) from several different windows. They appear to be fine this am, but is that normal?