Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frizzle71

Large picture window not flashed properly (or at all?)

Frizzle71
10 years ago

Hi everybody,

I had the two windows in my condo replaced a little while back. Since then, every time there is a hard driving rain, I get water leaking into the inside under the one side of the window (I can see this clearly because there is no sheetrock on the wall right now).

Two times so far, the installer has been back and re-caulked around the window. It has not cured the problem.

I did a little research about window installation, and I don't believe the window has been flashed properly (or at all).

Is it correct that if a window has been flashed properly, even if water was to leak under the siding or trim, that it should still drain to the outside of the wall?

I watched them when they installed it, and they did not put any of the adhesive flashing material around the window opening. The window is just sitting on the bare wood beam, and they put a long brown aluminum trim piece to cover the wood, and then caulked it.

I also do not like how the caulk seam along the whole bottom of the window is such that if that caulk should ever come loose or crack anywhere, water is going to leak directly into my home. I feel they should have maybe put an extra bend in the aluminum so the seam opening would not be right where the rain hits and collects.

I dumped several large cups of water in the corner there and have confirmed that that is where the water is coming in.

Can you tell me what should be done to fix this situation?

Thanks!

I have attached some photos:

Comments (2)