Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best awnings for southern windows?

Posted by cat_herder (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 20, 10 at 17:00

Hi again everyone! As some of you may recall, we built a house 3 years ago, with the help of THS members! Well, we missed one key thing - the windows on the south side of the house are wreaking havoc with our HVAC! My kids rooms all have south-facing windows that get direct sun all day, and in the afternoon their rooms are a full 10 degrees hotter than the rest of the house.

It seems the easiest (and most cost efficient) solution is to install awnings over those 4 windows to shield them from direct sun contact. (If you have other suggestions, I welcome those too!)

Does anyone have any advice on what the best awnings are for this type of application? I've seen dozens of online companies that sell them, but can't tell which will hold up best to the 10 hours a day of direct hot sun in west Texas, and the gusty winds we get every spring (up to 50 mph several days a year). Where should we look?

THANKS!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best awnings for southern windows?

I am not sure about the awnings, my only experience has been with the cloth awnings. You may want to contact a glass company in Tx, we are in AL and my mom was a similar issue. They out a film on the windows which has blocked all the UV and some of the heat. The film is transparent as well. All the window companies that see the low e glass at different levels are all films that are placed on the glass. I did see the other day a film at Lowe's for DIYS so that you could do the same thing. Might be worth your time and may save some money, plus you wouldn't have the 4 awnings on the south side of your house!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here