Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juniork

help! code says tempered glass windows. any options for wui?

juniork
13 years ago

We are building a new house in a Wildland Urban Interface area. Apparently, noone (including myself) saw on the plans that ALL our windows need to be tempered on the exterior side for fire reasons, even though we do have a fire sprinkler system (another WUI requirement). I have Milgard Ultra double paned argon windows, 4 lites/window and about 17 of them are not tempered. I called Milgard, and they don't fire rate their windows (they can alternatively be fire rated to 20 min.).

What to do? I was brainstorming, and thought about 'storm windows' from my childhood in the deep South. Could anyone give an opinion as to whether it would be cheaper to install storm windows vs take apart my 4-lite SDL windows, replace the exterior one with tempered glass, fill with argon, then replace?

Any and all advice humbly appreciated!

Comments (18)

• millworkman
    13 years ago

from my experience about your only real option is all new glass or sash.Taking apart the glass you have now and appling a piece of tempered and resealing the IG unit is not much of an option as far as I know.

• juniork
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sigh. So as a wildly uneducated guess, I'm thinking that putting on a storm window with tempered glass will satisfy the requirements, and it sounds less expensive than buying a new replacement sash, right? Thanks for your advice!

• millworkman
    13 years ago

I have no idea if a storm unit will pass, did they tell you it would?

• juniork
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No, I think we're all afraid to ask the inspector, or even bring it up to the building office, since it's a small town! I just pulled up the code that talked about this, and that's all the requirements mentioned:

704A.3.2.2 Exterior glazing and windowwalls. Exterior
    windows, window walls, glazed doors, and glazed openings
    within exterior doors shall be insulating-glass units
    with a minimum of one tempered pane, or glass block
    units, or have a fire-resistance rating of not less than 20
    minutes, when tested according to ASTM E 2010, or conform
    to the performance requirements ofSFM12-7A-2.

• Val_Villalobos_Construction_gmail_c
    13 years ago

I have the same situation! just installed allnew windows plus an addition. now i cant move aheads until I fiw my milgard windows. I would think the salesman would have advised me that these windows are nolonger legal.

• rsglazing
    12 years ago

Juniork- For the WUI issue you can temper either piece of glass, I would get new insulated units and have them installed with the correct glass but the storm window option is interesting. I'm guessing they would deny it because it's not permanent and could be removed.
    Val- It's tough for a salesman to get it right unless he was working off a set of plans that had it marked on them. If you gave him a window schedule that you made up then he probably wouldn't know. One block could be WUI but across the street it's not required.

• Val_Villalobos_Construction_gmail_c
    12 years ago

Ok, I am a builder and I get the need for improving the way we build. But...this code is freekin ridiculous!!! Really, temPered glass for fire safety?? What if the damn window is OPEN?? What'd next, tempered screens? Or maybe we should be required to weld the freekin window shut! Or better yet, start a new building enforcement department that goes around and fines people for oPening their own damn windows during fire season.

• PRO
    SF Design & Build
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Late to this thread, but yes, much of the WUI codes, especially for windows, are very misguided. I totally get why you need that extra 20 minutes of fire rating--to wake up, realize the mountain and grass fire is outside your door and you gotta wake up and get to the car and get out--but did you know that a metal screen works even better than the WUI standard to repell radiant heat? And honestly, think about it: A much smarter and more affordable code would be to require houses to have a 10,000 gallon water tank with gravity fed sprinklers, or if gravity isn't available, a generator or solar battery array that would kick in automatically to power a sprinkler system. That would save your house. That would save your life. That would allow you to get to the car. That saved anybody in Napa, Sonoma and Paradise who had one, and there were people who had one. That works. And spending $10-15k on that is so much smarter than spending $40k-100k or more on these WUI standards for every new house. My humble opinion. Another thing is that they make house design harder because the materials are so darned fugly. The off the rack stuff is fugly, and the custom made prettier stuff is hard to certify as WUI, so you are darned if you do and darned if you don't. Furthermore, with all this money being spent by thousands of home owners on WUI standards, which force private citizens to foot the bill, you'd figure local government could force themselves to pay for new infrastructure, under ground power lines, and a solar power grid that would prevent 87% of these fires. Look it up. Google that. In Europe and most of China and Asia, almost all power is piped underground. Even in the country. No overhead power lines, nothing to break and fall to the ground during a storm or winds caused by global warming, no sparks, no wildfires, no dead people. 87% of CA fires were caused by this one thing. Billions of loss in property and all those lives. Sorry to rant, but it's so much cheaper to put the power underground than kid yourselves with the WUI standards. These WUI codes are to us, what the nuclear bomb shelters were to the suburban building boomers of the 1950s. Good luck with those windows when a real fire comes. Sleep tight knowing that those tempered window panes are going to.... Do practically nothing. (Licensed CA Contractor and builder here.)

• PRO
    toddinmn
    5 years ago

I would expect the architect , builder or installer to know the code. If you are playing the general the blame would reside with you.

Storm windows can’t go on vinyl windows and can void warranties on modern wood windows. Newer Windows often don’t have a Good way to mount them like old ones do.

I’d ask the inspector first or read deeper into the rules to see if there are any exceptions.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    5 years ago

The Ultra are fiberglass windows i see.

not sure how they would accept storms, even if you can mount them there may not be enough clearance to tilt them in, which would mean you have to remove them to clean them. Replacing the glass sounds best , you may have to also replace the balancers if they are double hungs.

Replacing the sash may be the easimet option

• jfarlow12
    2 years ago

Hi All. Has anyone got around this? I am in the exact same boat as the OP. Milgard Ultra Fiberglass windows. Let me know if you have found another way around this. Maybe a film aftermarket?

• jfarlow12
    last year

so this would pass for WUI requirements? Do you have a link?

• skallu
    7 months ago

Hello everyone,

I find myself in a similar situation, needing to bring my window glass up to WUI (Wildland-Urban Interface) standards for city compliance. I'm wondering if anyone has explored alternative methods to achieve this standard, such as using specialized films or any other relatively straightforward options.

Your insights and experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Best Regards

Kanth

• skallu
    7 months ago

Hello everyone,

I find myself in a similar situation, needing to bring my window glass up to WUI (Wildland-Urban Interface) standards for city compliance. I wonder if anyone has explored alternative methods to achieve this standard, such as using specialized films or other relatively straightforward options.

Your insights and experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Best Regards

Kanth

• millworkman
    7 months ago

" I wonder if anyone has explored alternative methods to achieve this standard, such as using specialized films or other relatively straightforward options. "

No.

• Kathy
    6 months ago

What about European-style Rolladen metal roll-down shutters? They could serve to keep heat and light and cold out besides fire.

• PRO
    Peter B
    3 months ago

Alternate methods may be approved by the building department. If it is not offered in the code (and it isn't) an alternate method would not be specified by the architect.