Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smilier

welded corners on sliding doors

smilier
12 years ago

I'm looking at replacing a 12' wide sliding glass door with 3 panels. The middle one slides, and the others are fixed. The door I'm looking at, by Sunrise, has welded corners on the sliding door are welded, but the corners on the fixed doors are not. The welded corners are very important to us on the sliding door because the 40+ year old door separated in one corner, and probably as a result the glass in the other bottom corner is cracked. (although the contractor said that this sometimes just happens with decades-old doors) I understand that another benefit of welded corners is preventing air and water infiltration. The contractor believes that welding corners are not available for the fixed panels of sliding glass doors. I wondered if anyone has any thoughts on this topic. Thank you.

Comments (16)

• WindowDog
    12 years ago

I assume your talking about vinyl. There are doors that all the panels are welded. Simonton for one. I can't imagine why the heck the stationary panels would be any different. What kind of door is he wanting to use? Pick another one.

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

It's called a knock down door or KD door. Many of the biggest names such as Marvin ship their doors this way due to lower shipping costs. KD door will be fine if installed correctly. Sunrise is considered one of the top vinyl patio doors on the market. Certainly much better than Simonton who, by the way just introduced a KD door for retrofits.

• WindowDog
    12 years ago

I believe the OP is talking about the PANELS and not the door frame?

• smilier
    Original Author
    12 years ago

correct

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

Deadlite panels are certainly available as welded frame construction.

Find another door.

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

Better still, get another contractor who knows his product. Sunrise door panels are all welded whether operable or fized. The frame is a KD.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunrise Patio Door

• smilier
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I called Sunrise to confirm that panels, whether fixed or sliding, are welded. They are. I looked back at the contractor's email and realized that he was talking about the frame when he said that it wasn't welded. It wasn't something I'd asked about so it was just additional info he was providing since I guess he perceived I was interested in welded components. When he said frame, I was incorrectly assuming he meant panels. Thanks all, for your comments.

• PRO
    Uneeda Home Improvement Co., Inc
    12 years ago

For as long as I have been doing business with Simonton the 5500 & 9800 series retrofit sliding patio doors have been available KD but Simonton offers the option for a fully assembled door in the 5/0 x 6/8 & 6/0 x 6/8 sizes.

Simonton has not introduced a new KD patio door for retrofit; the door that is being offered within the new Asure window line has been available as a Reflections 5300 door for several years now and has a fully welded mainframe and door panel. This door is the Pro-Finish Contractor series door with the nail fin removed.

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

Sorry, Bill but when a manufacturer announces a new line of windows and includes an existing door model as part of that line, I think it's fair to say that they have launched a new door as part of that line. At least I think that's the way the P.R. people at Simonton want it to be preceived.

BTW, what genius at Simonton decide to use the picture of a dog taking a dump in the yard on page 5 of the Asure brochure?

Here is a link that might be useful: Asure Brochure

• millworkman
    12 years ago

Holy crap, that may be the funniest thing I have seen in quite a while. I needed a good laugh this morning.

• HomeSealed
    12 years ago

Wow! I actually had to wipe tears from my eyes on that one... at least it is a cute little puppy, lol.

• PRO
    12 years ago

Puppy terds are not a laughing matter HomeSealed!!!

ha...ha...

• WindowDog
    12 years ago

OMG that's hysterical. What genius approved that one! Laughed right out loud.

How does this Asure line differ from the Prism?

• PRO
    12 years ago

Going for thinner lines I think.

• PRO
    Uneeda Home Improvement Co., Inc
    12 years ago

This thing with the dog started out as a mailing to the distributors to hint at the introduction of a new window and I have posted below the post cards first page and what you saw when you flipped over the outer frame that hid the dog. Pretty funny and guess someone in marketing loved it so much that it make the brochure as when you look out your window with more viewing area you may not like everything you see. I don�t think it works as well in the brochure as it did in the post card. Click on the pictures and they will enlarge.

Simonton basically redesigned a new lower end window to replace the 5050 and the 5300 they narrowed the main frame to increase the glass area and it adds about 7/8" each way. The sash is the same as the old 5050 and 5300 but new main frame is nicer looking. You can order it with Super Spacer or Supercept in double pane only with a U factor of .29. Air numbers are the same as the old 5300 and it can be ordered DP50

[URL=http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i185/uneeda/?action=viewät=Asure1001.jpg][IMG]http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i185/uneeda/th_Asure1001.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i185/uneeda/?action=viewät=Asure2001.jpg][IMG]http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i185/uneeda/th_Asure2001.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

• WindowDog
    12 years ago

If more companies shoot for thinner lines, I would slightly revise some of my opinions. :)