Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lakeyjim

new construction window

lakeyjim
14 years ago

looking at a couple low cost vinyl windows. They include, American Craftsman from HD and Atrium from a lumber dealer. The HD window is on the shelf and it will take two weeks to get it from the lumber dealer.

I have also looked at more recognizable names such as Andersen, Pella, etc, but I want to spend the minimum and get a product that will at least work without major problems. At HD, the slider window is $172.00 for a 60" x 40". This has low e, argon gas, no grids and no jamb extensions. It is a new construction window. The Atrium from the lumber dealer would be about $165 so there isn't much cost difference. I realize this isn't millions of dollars but still would like to get the better product.

I understand Andersen actually owns American Craftsman which used to be Silver line. There are a number of quite negative posts relative to Silver Line. Has the ownership by Andersen improved Silverline (now called American Craftsman)

I'm looking to install one window and my father (retired contractor) will installed it. There is currently a small window in place, but my father will cut open the wall and install the bigger window. Yes, he knows it will need a header. He knows what he is doing.

Any thoughts appreciated.