Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
salonkari

Jeld wen vs ykk ap

salonkari
11 years ago

Help! We are currently building a house and I thought we were going to be receiving jeld wen builders vinyl single hung windows... Instead we received ykk ap windows? What's the difference? I feel like jeld wen is top line and ykk ap may not be? They are energy star certified with a ufactor of .34. Please help!! Any info will be great,y appreciated!

Comments (22)

• niteshadepromises
    11 years ago

If you do a bit of searching jeld-wen is not highly regarded in any way shape or form on this forum, especially anything builder grade. I have never heard of the other name mentioned however, so can't comment on that.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

Neither is anywhere close to top line by any measure. Do you have time to do some research on this, or are the windows a done deal already?

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Like HS said, six of one half dozen of the other. Both are mediocre at best. Unfortunately it sounds like you already own the YKK (think zippers).

This post was edited by millworkman on Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 21:34

• salonkari
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes they are being installed Wednesday. Well maybe, I'm going to research tonight and get back with my gc! Nothing is a "done deal" since I'm not happy :) thanks for feedback! I'm sure I will need a lot more soon!!

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Jeldwen is about in the same class quality wise in my opinion, so maybe investigate other brands.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

If you have any say at this point, put it on hold until you can make a choice that you are comfortable with... Only problem is that you'll probably set the project back a few weeks as the new windows are produced.
    Builder grade windows (wood or vinyl) have a life expectancy of about 10-15 years in my experience, and even at that, you could be dealing with glass seal failures and air leakage throughout that life span.

• ykkap
    11 years ago

Dear Solankari. If you have any questions about our products we would be more than happy to speak with you personally. You can also learn more about who we are and our products at www.ykkap.com . Go to the residential products section. You can also call me personally @ 678-838-6036.

• ykkap
    11 years ago

You can also learn mpre about us in a recent feature in Window and Door Magazine http://www.windowanddoor.com/t100ykk_2012

Here is a link that might be useful: 2013 Widow and Door Top 100

• Amy Scoik
    6 years ago

I am doing replacement-style windows in a shipping container structure. Having a hard time choosing between brands...my architects recommended YKK, PGT. Contractors have suggested Mi and Simonton. I'm looking for good quality, budget friendly windows. do not need top of the line, this is going into a steel box on a farm. Any recommendations?

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    6 years ago

Good quality and budget friendly are not descriptors that normally go together. Where is the structure going to be and what look are you going for? PGT and Simonton are pretty well regarded.

• HU-9889256
    4 years ago

I have YKK windows and was assured by both the builders rep, Haynes Bros of Murphreesboro and the builder H29 construction, that these are top-of-the-line windows.

My first time letting the bottom sash down to wash, I have three windows that are not functioning properly… Two of them are frozen entirely with

• cris622
    2 years ago

I have YKK double hung windows that are one year old. if you put your hand by the sides where the wimdows meet i have cold air coming in. This is on EVERY single window. This is a huge dissapointment and an extreme regret. i would NOT recommend YKK to anyone

• jivago108
    2 years ago

@Cris622: What model YKK windows do you have?

• millworkman
    2 years ago

The best series of YKK vinyl is still a very poor window.

• jivago108
    2 years ago

What do you recommend for North Central Florida. It's been very difficult.

Looking at Soft-Lite, but they're crazy expensive. Looking for good performance numbers including air leakage numbers.

• millworkman
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Do you require Hurricane Impact Rated? Are you doing insert replacements? New construction with a fin? Double Hungs, casements, etc.?

• jivago108
    2 years ago

These are replacement windows, however new construction type with fins is OK/preferred. Impact not needed and would add unnecessary cost.

Some odd sizes:

South face - front of house

1) 72 x 36 Office/ 3rd bdrm - slider

2) 48 x 72 Dining room - single hung (prefer ~30% sized lower sash)

3) 35.5 X 35.5 kitchen 1 - casement

4) 35.5 X 35.5 kitchen 2 - casemen

5) 72 X 36 Garage window - slider

North face - back of house

6) 60 x 48 Master bed - slider

7) 32 x 72 Living room (porch)- single hung (prefer ~30% sized lower sash)

8) 48 x 48 Small bed - slider

East - right side

9) 48 x 24 Office - slider

10) 48 x 24 Guest bed - slider

11) 24 x 24 guest bath - double hung

West - left side

12) 24 x 30 master bath - double hung,

• jivago108
    2 years ago

Will likely stay in the house for 20+ years.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    2 years ago

I have heard of them...today as a matter of fact...about 13 times.

• millworkman
    2 years ago

"I have heard of them...today as a matter of fact...about 13 times."

Looked to me to be over 30 times.....................

• oberon476
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

he is persistent

edit: and it appears to have been deleted