Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Laminated vs. insulated glass for large picture window?

artemis78
10 years ago

We are replacing a very large fixed picture window (all one piece, no dividers) and wondering whether laminated or double-paned/insulated glass is a wiser choice. We live in a temperate climate and have no particular issues with noise. (The current window is 100-year-old single pane and does get cold/drafty in the winter months, but I think either of the options we're considering will help with this substantially, and it's not a huge problem even with the current window.)

Price aside, are there any particularly compelling reasons to choose one type of glass over the other for a large window like this? Thanks!

Comments (3)

• HomeSealed_WI
    10 years ago

Safety if it breaks would be a factor, although depending on the size it may need tempered glass anyway. The laminated will provided superior sound insulation and security, although most criminals arent going to choose a giant picture window to break in anyway.
    Overall, you'll probably see a significant price difference, so if you dont find any of the advantages particularly compelling, insulated (tempered or not) will probably serve you well.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

+1 to HomeSealed feedback.

No real reason to Laminated with the exception of sound or additional break in prevention.

• oberon476
    10 years ago

+1 HomeSealed and +1 WoW

"...but I think either of the options we're considering will help with this substantially..."

I suspect that from your comment that you may be looking for improved energy performance with laminated glass; possibly comparable to an insulating lite.

If so, then you definitely want to consider the insulating lite and unconsider the laminated lite.

Laminated glass has a great many positive benefits when used in a window system, but clear monolithic laminated glass alone doesn't add a thing to the energy performance of a window - certainly not anything in any way comparable to what you would get from an insulating glass unit in the window.

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company