Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
MGM Southern Rose Windows

Posted by bushda76 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 15:09

Anyone use these windows in their new construction and have any feedback?

Many Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: MGM Southern Rose Windows

Have not had the opportunity, nor do I see them mentioned often.. I'd check out the thermal and structural performance ratings, and search for reviews ;).

o
RE: MGM Southern Rose Windows

Just wanted to put out there (as I know in my hunt for reviews, that there was very little out there) that we installed the white vinyl MGM Southern Rose windows throughout our entire new home. We chose single hung as well as casement windows. I know that there are many window snobs out there who have a problem with vinyl but not everyone has a million dollars to build a home with the top brand/quality used in every nook and cranny! We chose to cut corners and go with vinyl and use a brand that is not widely known. We wanted a home with TONS of windows/lots of light because we built out in the country with lots of scenic views. There is no way we could have afforded our dream if we had went with something other than vinyl & a lesser known brand. Personally I think they look great! We built a craftsman cottage style home and we've had so many compliments. Everyone loves it! That being said, the Pella guy came by (he is a friend of our carpenter) and was running his mouth about how he "couldn't believe anybody would put such cheap windows in a home of this quality". Whatever... overall we are happy so far and that is what matters.

That being said, I would like to make a few comments here...I feel like our casement windows are better quality than the single hung. I wasn't sure about them when I saw them in the store but I really do love them. We have not, however, put the screens in them. I don't like the idea of screens on the inside clouding up my view of the outside world. I don't plan to open those windows a whole lot as we don't open our windows much anyway, but if I do want to open one or two here and there, our screens are easily accessible and I figure I can pop them in when I do want the ability to let fresh air in.

Single hung windows...we debated. Did we really need the double hung? It was a hard decision, but again, cost was a factor for us and honestly, we had double hung in our old home and the only time it came in handy was when we were cleaning the windows. In comparison to the double hung in our old home (which I think are Andersen), I do think the quality is probably not quite as good. The Southern Rose seem a bit flimsier. When raising the window, it is much lighter and kind of just "springs up". There is also no lip to raise and pull the window down, which seems strange--I've just been pushing them up and down, using the sash. We also really have had to make sure they are sealed tightly, otherwise I've noticed that windows that have a light/lamp near to them, somehow draw a few small gnats and other nighttime critters in (even with the screens on). Maybe its because we live in a totally rural place and there are a lot more tiny critters out here, looking for a way in? This, more than anything, troubles me the most. Even when I think things are sealed tight, they are not always, and I would think that if they are latched, that should be enough to keep anything out that I don't want in?

Again, overall I am happy with how they look. I hope they stand up to the elements a good 25 years or more (admittedly, the window snobs have me worried); however, if they don't, we will just deal with it. With what we saved, we can hopefully afford to replace a faulty window here or there with something that is better quality (if indeed the quality is not what we hope it is). I'll let everyone know if that ends up being the case!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here