Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newhousepains999

Replacement windows in Central Jersey

newhousepains999
10 years ago

Recently I bought my first house in New Jersey. Before moving in, I wanted to have some work done, including replacing the 20ies era windows which were drafty and noisy.

Really having no idea about windows, I asked for anderson windows. From what I saw at HD looked and worked ok. When I asked my contractor to install those, he "recommended" a brand which, he claimed, were better then the american craftsman by Anderson at HD. As I made the mistake to trust him, I did not ask anything more as I assumed there could not be much difference between windows and that anything was better then the wooden, single pane windows which were there.

Boy was I wrong!!! They "installed" windows from a company called "North East" from Merrick NY. They are real junk. The windows are double hung, but many of top panes smack down when the lower one is closed. Worse off, I can hear the traffic outside the house and even people speaking on the sidewalk. They are louder and draftier then the previous ones, which was confirmed by the former owner who came over to see the completed renovations.

Again, not knowing anything but brand names, I called in Pella and Replacement by Anderson to give me a quote. Both reps told me the windows were installed incorrectly. pretty basic things, like expanding foam between the windows and house were not employed and there was not even any silicone on the outside of the window.

Needless to say, when I was talking to a friend, she told me about this site and that they used it after installing Anderson and having leaking issues.

I have really no recourse to have the contractors replace the windows. They refuse to admit that expanding foam is important or that silicone should be used on the outside.

I have to replace these windows ASAP as it is very uncomfortable, however I do not want to make the same mistake.

Pella recommended the 350 series window with the thicker glass option for the side of the house which faces the street for noise reduction. They quoted me approx 622 per window for all the windows installed (blended rate with 350 series windows 10 with the thicker glass and 8 with the normal glass.) As I will have to eat the price of the garbage "North East" windows, this is around the most I can afford. I have seen that people are recommending brands I have never heard of before, such as starmark and others, however each requires a dealer appointment to come over and give me the 'spiel' for 1.5 hours or so. I am trying to find the best price for a window that is not drafty and has the best noise reduction for the price. Can someone please recommend a brand or a couple of brands which have the best functionality in these areas? I am really lost and can not afford to make another mistake.

Comments (14)

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

First off, welcome to the site. Andersen make a very low quality vinyl window whether its under the silverline name or american craftsman, Although the new pella 350 is a step in the right direction based on their other windows being horrible ( thermalstar and impervia), its still lacks in performance .
    The air leakage rate is high and the Ufactor is only a .30 maybe a .29.
    The big design flaw is that a pocket sill is used which is a horrible design. You will notice small plastic flaps on the outside of the pella 350 due to water being drained not only from the sill but also through the frame. When drained through the frame, debris on the sill can actually clog the weep holes( plastic flaps) and water and mold sit inside your window frame. You want a window with a " true welded sloped sill" where water ONLY drains down the sill and not through the frame.

I would expand my search and try to locate a contractor that specializes in high quality brands such as Okna Windows( EnviroStar), Soft Lite ( Elements) or Sunrise Vanguard.

Most of the dealers of these windows wont give the 2 hour sales presentation like pella.
    You can try doing a google search of the brand in your state, example:
    Xyz windows nj ,

These 3 brands seem to be the most recommended by pro's based on energy{{gwi:9241}} efficiency, air tightness, and structural integrity. Lastly, these brands also look very nice and in no way compromise the look of your home.
    Although all 3 brands are vinyl, they are a high grade vinyl and engineered and designed very well.
    Brands to avoid would be the typical builders grade windows such as. Mi, alside, silverline, pella, and many others to numerous to mention.

This post was edited by mmarse1 on Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 20:10

• dennisgli
    10 years ago

Again, not knowing anything but brand names, I called in Pella and Replacement by Anderson to give me a quote.

I think this is the root of your dilemma. Not the time to be going to whomever advertises the most. And this is why you are getting two hour high pressure sales pitches. Nor the time to go to a big box store.

Take the recommended products from here and find installers that have installed them in your area from the manufacturers web site. Get quotes from a few of them.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

Depending on where you are in NJ, AGM Windows is a great resource. His reviews on this and other forums are great.

I have personally referred folks to him that were family members of my customers.

Here is a link that might be useful: AGM

• newhousepains999
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for the information.

Now that I have it narrowed down to three brands (thanks mmarse1 and many others from other posts), I will bring them in for estimates.

With a budget of about 600-700 dollars for 30~X60~ inch windows, can anyone recommend a particular line from these brands which I should focus on, or will I need to adjust my costing expectations northward?

@mmarse1: Thanks for the very long reply and taking the time to explain the differences between the window technologies. This will help me make a more informed decision and hopefully not make the same mistake.

@dennisgli: I have come to this conclusion since reading posts on this site. This must be the reason that the leading manufacturers are able to lead window sales despite having sub par technologies. I have just cancelled my follow ups with the pella and anderson reps.

@ windowsonwashington: Thank you so very much for the AGM recco. I am going to call them Monday AM to get an estimate. They are located 15 mins from my town and they are a Starmark dealer.

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

You are welcome. Ask to see both starmark and okna 800 .
    When you say thinker glass, did they mean double strength glass or tempered?
    Good luck and great job educating yourself.

This post was edited by mmarse1 on Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 15:41

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

A second reccomendation for AGM, great outfit. Top products , great people. I hate to ever sound biased, but I have had the privelege of personal referrals to AGM with great results...
    I encourage you to do your research and due diligence, just make sure to include AGM. You will not regret it.

• PRO
    Ellis Mayhew LLC
    10 years ago

I used AGM last year for a whole house replacement project (800's & 700's). We could not be happier and I highly recommend them.

• HomeSealed_WI
    10 years ago

edit

This post was edited by HomeSealed_WI on Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 7:22

• newhousepains999
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I learned the importance of a quality window after my contractor stuck me with these crappy vinyl windows from "North-East" out of Merrick NY.

Today, I met with the Anderson salesman who gave me the 'Time Share' sales pitch which lasted over two hours!!! All he kept on doing was trashing Vinyl windows and promoting their wood resin technology. Every time I brought up issues mentioned in these forums, or all the great advice I have read, all he could do was say "anderson is better". When I showed him the one new construction window, which still had the nailing strips exposed as the siding was not replaced yet, he recommended to replace with a replacement window and not a new construction. (I am sure this is because he only sells new construction windows) Lastly, his price was so expensive it was mind-boggling. The worst thing was his pressure tactic of giving me a one time only discount of 15% if I signed at that moment. I really wish I had come to this site first before I made the appointment. At least I came here before the meeting and learned so much. Really thank you everyone for your help. Today AGM is coming to show me the Starmark and Okna windows. I promise to try to further enrich this site with my experiences!

If anyone happens to read this before calling in "renewal by anderson" to make an appointment for a sales call. Heed my advice, save your time and dont do it.

• newhousepains999
    Original Author
    10 years ago

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!

I met with the owner of AGM today and he showed me the Okna 800's!

I was not only impressed with the features and functions of the windows, but the build quality and motion of the windows was amazing!!!

AGM gave me what I thought was a VERY fair price and promised to stand behind the work by giving me a lifetime install guarantee to match the windows lifetime warranty.

I promise to keep you all posted and in 3 weeks I will send pics of the install along with the details of the experience.

Thanks again everyone as I am CERTAIN I would not have discovered this brand of window and ended up with substandard expensive Pella products!!!

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

Sweet.

AGM is a great shop and that window that he sells is pretty good too!

Keep us posted.

• melbits
    8 years ago

@newhousepains999 - how is it going? How was the installation and how are the windows? We are on the same boat as you were a year ago. I can't wait to hear how it went for you! I am calling AGM as I type.

• May Lewis
    2 years ago

Everyone still happy with their windows installed by AGM?