Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
General 'windows 101' post? Middle TN window advice

Posted by JSpann (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 12, 14 at 14:24

I am wondering if there is a 'cheat sheet/windows 101" post on here?? I am in Middle Tennessee and researching for our future build.... and need to get my ' feet wet'.
We will not be in the budget range for the best-of-the-best, but I know that you do not want to mess up with windows. I am looking for a 'best bang for your buck not going to regret this decision for the next 20 years" choice :) Although top of the line won't be an option for our young family, we don't want to mess up the 'bones' of this house.
Thanks for any direction you can provide!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: General 'windows 101' post? Middle TN window advice

If you are looking at vinyl windows in particular, your cheat sheet will be performance ratings.

U-factor : .27 or lower (double pane) double hung
Air infiltration: .05cfm or lower for a double hung
Design Pressure: DP50 or higher for double hung

o
RE: General 'windows 101' post? Middle TN window advice

That would probably be my cheat sheet as well.

I would also look for a narrow profile in the window so as to not loose much glass as well as the right combination of Low-e coatings for your region.

Getting to a 0.27 with the wrong glass can work in the opposite of overall efficiency.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here