Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nucleuscontour

Alside Windows

nucleuscontour
15 years ago

We had Alside install all the windows upstairs in our home two years ago. All of the windows are tight, including the Bow window, except the two four foot long windows in the bedrooms facing the Northwest. These windows leak when the wind blows. A technician came out a year ago, & said to remove the window wood mouldings & stuff in fiberglass insulation, & that will do the trick. Did that last summer & it did not work. Called Alside main office & this past December, their District Manager came out & told me my "Expectations" were too high & all windows leak in cold air. So I asked, why doesn't the other Alside windows do this, only these two four foot long windows? He didn't know. So, he agreed to have the local Harrisburg, PA. office call me to replace just the upper sash in each window & that should help. So far, no one ever called. Meanwhile to keep the cold air out of my two bedrooms, I has to use fingertip rope caulk & tape the sashes where they join & where the sashes meet the frames, which is a lot of caulk. We are going to call this manager back this week, & if he contimues to delay, I am hiring an Attorney. Can you imagine Alside being in the roofing business & you have a few leaks? They would say your "Expectations" are too high since all roofs leak after a roofing job. Barry in PA.

Comments (23)

• skydawggy
    15 years ago

One of Alside's problems is with consistency in manufacturing and outdated window design. Which Alside model did you purchase?

• nucleuscontour
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello,
    After buying their Bow Window, which is about 9 feet long with no leakage, since it is a casement type of window, we went with their "Excalibur" windows for the rest of the house. We recently bought new windows for our basement, whereby the old ones where steel frames. I refused to go to Alside again & went with another company, & those windows are tight, even in the cold wind. Alside does not honor warranties, at least not with us! Thank you for asking. By the way, any suggestions? Barry in PA.

• skydawggy
    15 years ago

It's difficult to understand where the problem is coming from without seeing the installation. You mentioned they came out and put fiberglass insulation in. That would indicate a problem with the installation or their was an error in the initial measurements rather than the window. OTOH if the windows are 48" wide and are double hung, then they are the maximum width alside will manufactures and it's possible the sashes would have to be replaced b/c of the poor quality control Alside has from time to time. I would just stay on top of the situation and keep calling them until they come out and solve the problem. Keep in mind that the Excalibur isn't the best window on the market and air leaks aren't uncommon in the lower grade windows but, it sounds like you are having more of an issue with air leaks than is normal even for the Excalibur.

• kim286
    15 years ago

I own a 2 family house and we had Alside Ultramax windows installed in the living and dining rooms of both units this past August. There are definite drafts with these windows, especially the living room ones. How do I know if the company that installed them is to blame, or Alside?

• skydawggy
    15 years ago

I would start by trying to determine where the cold air is coming from. Make sure your heating system isn't running and everyone in the room is still. Light a candle and move it around the sashes and the inside frame of the windows, looking for it flickering. Then move it away from the window towards the wall and the molding to check to see if the air is coming in around the window. This should give some idea of where the leak is and if the cold air is coming from the windows.

I would also try to see if there is an excessive gap between the sash and frame. Try unlocking and then locking the window and moving it back and forth horizonally. There shouldn't be much movement there. Next try locking the window and lifting up on it to see how tight it seals against the sill. I would also visually inspect the windows from the inside and outside to see if there are any noticeable gaps in the caulk. When you do the visual inspection on the exterior, check to see it the flaps that cover the weep holes are there and are closed.

I would then contact the company that installed the windows and ask when they can get someone out to look at them. Do you know whether they used fiberglass insulation or spray foam to fill the gaps between the wall and the window?

• nucleuscontour
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello again...
    Appreciate your concerns. I was the one who stuffed fiberglass insulation around one the four foot windows at Alside's contractor's request(almost two years ago) to no avail. Didn't waste my time doing the second one. After the District manager from Ohio was here last December 14 & promised the local Alside would call us & install new upper sashes, to no avail, my wife called up the District manager on his cell phone & got no response. She called again yesterday, & again got his voice mail. Still no response. It is apparent that we are being ignored. So, the wife called up the local TV station, who has a volunteer action committee that invesigates people who refuse to uphold their obligations to the cunsumer. This Gentleman called the Dustrict manager for us & also the local Alside company here in Harrisburg, PA. & very shortly after that happened,their contractor agreed to come to our home again, this coming Tuesday morning to try to repair the two windows, since the insulation I installed didn't help. Wish us luck. I have never in my 62 years of life, had a company that doesn't care to warranty their products like Alside. Yes, when we purchased the windows they did say it wasn't the top best, but second. All the other windows that were installed are fine, except these two. I was advised by the Action Committee, if they fail to fix these two windows, I can file an application for the State's Attorny's General Office. If you want, we can keep you posted. One more thing..the wife & I are honest, quiet , & peaceful people, who do not appreciate being taken advantaged of...Barry in PA.

• monarch2008
    15 years ago

We are considering Alside Ultramaxx or Thermal Industries' product, both made in PA. did you compare thermal and why did you choose Alside? We haven't received our quote yet and are located in Norfolk, VA. Would appreciate any advice, suggestions. thank you!

• cartercrest_aol_com
    12 years ago

I had an window company come to my house and he was selling the Alside windows (UltraMaxx). Although, I'm now concerned that these are not the best windows if people are saying they leak. I've had about l0 windows in my house replaced already with Windsor windows and they DO NOT leak at all. But I paid an arm and leg for these windows..so I thought I would use a cheaper window for the upstairs...any advice on using the UltraMaxx...they are really inexpensive and that concerns me too.

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

What is your question? Do you disbelieve what people are reporting about their experiences with Alside Windows? Why don't you look at some other brands before deciding?

• mmarse1
    12 years ago

Alside are known for poorly designed windows. why invest in a cheaply made window when there are so many high quality windows out there. Starmark , Sunrise, Okna, Gorell, and Soft lite are all very high quality windows.

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

Just to clarify, Starmark is a model made by Okna.

Here is a link that might be useful: Starmark by Okna

• annainva
    12 years ago

to monarch008 - doubt it will be seen by him/her, just wondering what product was decided on since I live in the same vicinity and looking for replacements.

Does anyone have experience with Simontons or Milgards?

Thanks much,
    anna

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

Yes and Yes.

Which product lines in those brands?

• harrisr30_comcast_net
    12 years ago

I recently got Alside Excalibur windows and a sliding door installed. I can say without question that my windows do not leak. My sense is that the key to a leak-free outcome is a quality installation. Given that my house has 41 windows and I have no leaks or issues, I am pretty happy with them.

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

You can't say without question they don't leak unless you have had a blower door test done. Of course you are happy with them as long as your standard is they are better than what you had. Problem is there are many windows on the market that have better performance numbers and come from manufacturers with better quality control, warranty performance and overall customer service.

• bnhansen
    12 years ago

In the Fall of 2010, we had many Alside window sets put in. When Spring came, we opened all but four of the windows 1/4 to 1/2 way. We never fully closed and locked the windows until late July/early August when the hurricane was due to come up the east coast. When we tried closing the casement windows they wouldn't close - they had sagged to such a point that even using a lot of force wouldn't get them to back into the frames. Initially, Alside indicated that the contractor was at fault however, the contractor had two experts look at several of the windows and stated to Alside that the windows were defectively made with at least some of the problem appearing to be that the glass inset was shimmed improperly. Giving Alside this information back in August and September & filling out a warranty claim form, we still don't have a written response from Alside nor do we have an explanation from Alside as to why these windows have failed.

Has anyone else had experience with Alside's casement windows including bow windows? I'm considering hiring a structural or civil engineer to look at the windows and report on their structural integrity which seems like something Alside should have done before they made these windows and certainly after they failed.

Has anyone pursued Alside legally for not honoring their casement window warranty?

• PRO
    12 years ago

bhansen,

Feel free to email me and put *Alside* in the subject line.

I will see if I can get you the right persons information to talk with.

• Jake696
    10 years ago

My Alside bay window unit is rotting internally. I went thru the warranty process to get answers and got the run around and eventually ignored. A local window wholesaler said he'd get the rep out next time he came around. Of course, that never happened. Associated materials has washed their hands of the issue, saying it's not their problem. I finanly got another unrelated contractor out to look at the problem and he showed me how the unit had been installed improperly. One issue is the pink insulation underneath is holding water (like a sponge) and causing the wood rot. He claimed they shouldn't even use that type of insulation underneath...

• Karateguy
    10 years ago

Conflicting views on this one. I do not have a high opinion of the alside product, however I have serious questions about their liability here. 1: installation being named the cause would preclude a product failure. 2: "pink foam" is Owens Corning extruded polystyrene. It does NoT absorb moisture like a sponge , and will go a long way in limiting wood rotting condensation on your seat and head boards when equipped. I'm afraid that your "expert" opinion lacks expertise. It is more likely that the pocket capture sill design of the alside window failed and leaked water internally, causing your probs. in that case, this would be on them.

• PRO
    10 years ago

+1

Is the pink insulation in this case a rigid foam or fiberglass?

• Jake696
    9 years ago

well Karateguy, you are welcome to come see the install and realize it was simply done wrong. It's not polystyrene, it's standard insulation, as you would put in a wall. I didn't get to choose the installer. Yet no one will take liabliity for the installers incompetence. The windows are cheap, the company is chickenshe-ite, buy Pella and KNOW your installer.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Jake, buying Pella is not much better than Alside, and if that insulation is pink fiberglass it certainly does not belong in that application but I think you know that already.

This post was edited by millworkman on Sun, May 4, 14 at 14:31

• PRO
    9 years ago

+1 MWM.

Pella does have some very nice options but there are certainly good and bad offerings in their line up. I would not paint that recommendation with such broad strokes.