Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Top of Window Elevation

Posted by jwillis96 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 17, 12 at 13:47

We are building a new home with 9'-1" ceiling height and I trying to come up with a good top of window elevation..I am thinking adding a 12" transom to 6'-8" door would put me at 7'-8" for the top of the windows, this would also allow plenty of room for 5" window trim and crown molding ...Our designer is suggesting 8'-0" for the tops of the windows...Any thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Top of Window Elevation

I think with a 80" door and a 12-14 inch transome, you'll be right about at 8ft, depending on how they are mulled. You could go with an 82" height on the door, which is a better height and not uncommon with manufacturers.

o

correction: transom. :)

o

What is the total span of the door and what sized header will be required? That will be the ultimate determinant of the tallest combo you can run.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here