Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mold on vinyl frame inside

Posted by earthygal52 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 12, 11 at 13:47

First of all I live in WA state and it's very damp here. These windows were replaced in 1998 and they're from a company called Alpine which is no longer in business. My ques. is why would the interior frame on the vinyl get moldy? Is it because they were not sealed properly? They were installed when it was snowing could that be why? Excuse me if I seem naive, but that's my guess. Anyone care to elaborate on this? Also, it's not happening on all the windows but still a few too many.

Thanks!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mold on vinyl frame inside

Are there HVAC vents under your windows that this is occurring on? Do you have any type of blinds/shutters/shades/draperies on these windows? I ask because we had the same issue in our last house that had all vinyl windows. We had plantation style blinds (not shutters) that stayed closed the vast majority of the time. We would get mold along the base of the window where vinyl meets glass and then along the top of the bottom sash frame where it locks together with the upper sash frame. It formed especially quickly on the bathroom window. We figured the air was blowing straight up out of the vent & getting caught between the blinds & the window causing light condensation to form which would never completely evaporate thus causing the mold. We resolved the problem by putting plastic vent "deflectors" on the vents which directed the air out toward the room vs. straight up. We picked them up at Lowe's--I think they're made by the Deflect-o company and ran around $5 each. They just snap on the vent cover. Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Deflect-o Air Deflectors

o
RE: Mold on vinyl frame inside

Moisture + food source + darkness (ideally) = Mildew/Mold

Make sure that any window coverings that you have over that window are open and there is air circulation at that opening.

There may be enough of a thermal bridging effect there that is allowing for condensation at the location in question or enough air infiltration around that section of the window that is also allowing for condensation to form (i.e. Dew Point temperatures).

Have you checked the interior humidity levels?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here