Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vinyl - Plygem vs Simonton, need help ASAP

Posted by samana (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 19, 12 at 13:30

Hello. We're involved in a new build and our builder is about to order windows. We're talking about vinyl, double-hung. He originally recommended PlyGem Pro Series, Classic (I think that equals the 600 series). We were fine with that. Then last night I was checking JD Power ratings for appliances when I saw they also rate window companies. Their ratings for PlyGem are not very good. Then I saw that they really like Simonton. I know that installation has much to do with the final product and in that area I feel good. Should I press our builder to look into the Simonton ProFinish Contractor series instead? We've had terrible windows in the past and the idea of getting a new house full of bad windows with a bad company didn't let me sleep last night. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vinyl - Plygem vs Simonton, need help ASAP

JD power is not what I would consider a valuable evaluation tool for window quality.

Where are you building the home?

o

Plygem and Simonton are pretty much on par with each other in their better offerings, which I'd say is probably B-grade. If you are located out west, those options are probably about as good as you'll get, but if you are East or midwest, Softlite, HiMark, and Sunrise are superior.

o

We are building in VA.

Would you say okay JD is alright for things like appliances? I know that the individual comments are usually motivated by people who are upset with a product, which is why I thought the ratings would be helpful.

I'm sure a lot of this is jitters because once we put in the order there's no turning back. :)

o

The JD Power rating is a customer satisfaction survey and in terms of customer service Simonton is hard to beat and they do manufacture a good window.

I would look into the Simonton Pro-Finish Brickmold 600 Series it�s nicer looking compared to the Contractor Series

o

In VA you probably have access to Sunrise, HiMark, and Softlite. Those are the elite choices in vinyl IMO. If Windows on Washington covers your area you'd be well served to contact him to access a higher level of product than what you've seen... You are absolutely correct to question the motivation of salespeople, reviews, etc. When in doubt, the only objective measure is the performance ratings, both thermal and structural.

o

Perhaps I should be a little more specific, we're in central VA about 100 from DC. Thanks for all the comments. I feel better hearing that PlyGem isn't terrible. I'll also ask our builder about Sunrise et al, although I understand how he'd prefer to go something he's familiar with. He did steer us away from the vinyl Pella.

o

agree with the other poster, both simonton and plygem do offer their own " premium lines" which get a B rating, you could look into the higher quality vinyl such as HiMark / Okna , soft lite, or sunrise.

o

You can get Okna down there as well as long as you are willing to pick them up.

o

"both simonton and plygem do offer their own " premium lines" which get a B rating"

From whom?

o

window professionals

o

I second that. :)

o

ply gem vinyl new const are the old m&w windows they still use the old string and spring balance system simonton has a few more glass options available though.

o

String and spring balance?

You say that like it is a bad thing? The newer block and tackle systems provide more linear force, are more resistant to debris fouling, and have a longer cycle ratings.

o

+1

Top end manufacturers like Sunrise and Marvin use B&T on their entire line of windows. It's tested to 40,000 openings as opposed to constant force, which is usually tested to 4,000 openings. Either system will provide many years of trouble free service.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here