Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
samana

Vinyl - Plygem vs Simonton, need help ASAP

samana
12 years ago

Hello. We're involved in a new build and our builder is about to order windows. We're talking about vinyl, double-hung. He originally recommended PlyGem Pro Series, Classic (I think that equals the 600 series). We were fine with that. Then last night I was checking JD Power ratings for appliances when I saw they also rate window companies. Their ratings for PlyGem are not very good. Then I saw that they really like Simonton. I know that installation has much to do with the final product and in that area I feel good. Should I press our builder to look into the Simonton ProFinish Contractor series instead? We've had terrible windows in the past and the idea of getting a new house full of bad windows with a bad company didn't let me sleep last night. Thanks!

Comments (18)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

JD power is not what I would consider a valuable evaluation tool for window quality.

Where are you building the home?

• HomeSealed
    12 years ago

Plygem and Simonton are pretty much on par with each other in their better offerings, which I'd say is probably B-grade. If you are located out west, those options are probably about as good as you'll get, but if you are East or midwest, Softlite, HiMark, and Sunrise are superior.

• samana
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We are building in VA.

Would you say okay JD is alright for things like appliances? I know that the individual comments are usually motivated by people who are upset with a product, which is why I thought the ratings would be helpful.

I'm sure a lot of this is jitters because once we put in the order there's no turning back. :)

• PRO
    Uneeda Home Improvement Co., Inc
    12 years ago

The JD Power rating is a customer satisfaction survey and in terms of customer service Simonton is hard to beat and they do manufacture a good window.

I would look into the Simonton Pro-Finish Brickmold 600 Series it�s nicer looking compared to the Contractor Series

• HomeSealed
    12 years ago

In VA you probably have access to Sunrise, HiMark, and Softlite. Those are the elite choices in vinyl IMO. If Windows on Washington covers your area you'd be well served to contact him to access a higher level of product than what you've seen... You are absolutely correct to question the motivation of salespeople, reviews, etc. When in doubt, the only objective measure is the performance ratings, both thermal and structural.

• samana
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Perhaps I should be a little more specific, we're in central VA about 100 from DC. Thanks for all the comments. I feel better hearing that PlyGem isn't terrible. I'll also ask our builder about Sunrise et al, although I understand how he'd prefer to go something he's familiar with. He did steer us away from the vinyl Pella.

• mmarse1
    12 years ago

agree with the other poster, both simonton and plygem do offer their own " premium lines" which get a B rating, you could look into the higher quality vinyl such as HiMark / Okna , soft lite, or sunrise.

• PRO
    12 years ago

You can get Okna down there as well as long as you are willing to pick them up.

• eleena
    12 years ago

"both simonton and plygem do offer their own " premium lines" which get a B rating"

From whom?

• millworkman
    12 years ago

window professionals

• HomeSealed
    12 years ago

I second that. :)

• samnpatty
    12 years ago

ply gem vinyl new const are the old m&w windows they still use the old string and spring balance system simonton has a few more glass options available though.

• PRO
    12 years ago

String and spring balance?

You say that like it is a bad thing? The newer block and tackle systems provide more linear force, are more resistant to debris fouling, and have a longer cycle ratings.

• EcoStarRemodel
    12 years ago

+1

Top end manufacturers like Sunrise and Marvin use B&T on their entire line of windows. It's tested to 40,000 openings as opposed to constant force, which is usually tested to 4,000 openings. Either system will provide many years of trouble free service.

• emptynester123
    8 years ago

How do Simonton windows compare to Pella or Anderson in ratings ?

• PRO
    Window1
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Andersen do make a vinyl window called silverline. They sell it at home depot under the name american craftsman and they are total garbage. Pella vinyl is garbage as well.

vinyl windows can be amongst the best performers as long as you invest in a HIGH QUALITY VINYL WINDOW BRAND ! Simonton is a very old design a d is a middle of the road type. The better vinyl windows are soft lite , okna windows, sunrise, and kensington.

• emptynester123
    8 years ago

Thank you, that was very helpful !!!