Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Very rippled gaskets on a brand new install - photo!

Posted by blondelle (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 17, 12 at 13:08

I just had a four pane casement window installed today. Only the two side windows open. On the frame side, the gaskets are very rippled where they close. I was told this is within spec but it looks awful cosmetically. This can't be right on a $1,700 window! I had similar windows that were taller installed to and there is just very minor rippling.

I'm not able to call Simonton today. Can an installer or someone who knows about these issues PLEASE give me some feedback. Would really appreciate it. The photos of both windows are below with the problems outlined in red. Thanks much! It's the Simonton HD 6100 windows I think.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Very rippled gaskets on a brand new install - photo!

Even with Simontons lower end windows, that's unacceptable. I'm sure if you call your installer (HD) on Monday that they will be able to get it resolved for you.

o

Thanks for your input. Is it possible with the windows closed and the warmth of the sun that the gaskets would straighten out as they are soft rubber? When closed they are pressed between two pieces that with a bit of heat might sort of iron and straighten them out.

I'm going to show the photo to Simonton Monday and see what they think. HD has been very accommodating and I'm really impressed with the level of customer service I've been getting. They have sent many field people here to check the job and make sure I'm happy with everything. They told me they will replaces those windows if I insist.

o

Possibly someone talented with a heat gun could straighten that out. I would not try it myself let a service tech do it.

o

More than likely it will smooth out with some sun and heat (or a heat gun). If it doesn't have them replace it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here