Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New vinyl replacement windows - why so hard??

Posted by bittersweetdreams (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 1, 11 at 12:57

This is definitely the most difficult home improvement decision we have ever had to make. We're just not comparing apples to apples - and I understand installation skills mean everything to the windows we replace.

We are looking at replacing 13 double hung aluminum clad wood windows with either Vivinco, Simonton 5500, Winco 7700, or Stanek windows. We go from a range of $6,000 to over $12,000. All Low E argon. All have the 7/8 glass. I'm pretty surprised the Stanek warranty is non-transferable.

We are not intending to leave our house 'feet first' as one of the sales guys asked. We do want to get rid of our terribly drafty windows that have lost their seals and sometimes even get frost on them. Any suggestions for how to make a good choice?

I feel so much is based on the quality of the installation. We are replacing these into a house that is aluminum sided - no j channel. They are quoting us a aluminum wrap around the old frame to dress everything up and then good calk.

Any advise you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New vinyl replacement windows - why so hard??

My short list of windows to consider if you want vinyl would be Sunrise, Softlite, Okna, Gorell and Simonton. There are other good windows available but you can't go wrong with these brands assuming a quality installation.

o
RE: New vinyl replacement windows - why so hard??

Do I understand that you have double pane windows now that "have lost their seal?" If this is the case, I would try to find out why? Have no idea where you live and am only aware of the Simonton brand which runs between wonderful and awful on other posts on this board.

We happen to have 10 year old PlyGem windows that look as good as the time they were installed. Our house is so tight that we have to open a couple of windows to let in fresh air.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here