Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwer2007

Inserts/sash-packs Q

eleena
12 years ago

As my other thread has turned into quite a different discussion, I am starting a new one. (Wink)

FTR: I KNOW that "you don't get what you did not pay for" but the only thing I don't want is - like one of the posters said - not getting what I DID pay for. :-)

I'd like to leave the money issue out of it this discussion b/c it is sort of irrlevant as the inserts are less expensive than full windows and I can afford all or most of them.

BG: Looks ARE important but not the only consideration. However, being wood is NOT important as I am going to paint the windows anyway. That is being able to paint the interior is very important.

I do live in the Sunbelt, so it is very hot and humid here, as well as quite windy.

Another "window guy" came over to our house and said we did NOT need a full-window replacement b/c out frames were in a good shape. He has been in this business for more than 20 years and knows all the windows around here.

Yes, I know that many experts (including some on this board) prefer full-tear replacements. However, that is an entirely different conversation and let's just assume (for this discussion) that he is right. My questions are:

1. Would you recommend a sash-replacement (like Marvin Tilt Pac) or an insert replacement?

2. Vinyl, PVC, or fiberglass?

3. I have gotten two somewhat conflicting inputs about vinyl here:

A) There are "paint-able" vinyls as well as paints for vinyl;

B) Painted vinyl would not look good in a year or so.

So, I am confused and need clarifications from both parties who support one or the other opinion. Please?

4. It is my understanding that vinyl or fiberglass inserts will result in (quite substatial) glass loss. While I am not concerned much about the glass itself, I AM concerned about the overall looks. Would that look a little wierd?

5. As I understand, there are companies that specialize in PVC insert (or sash) replacements and have them available for all (previously) standard wood windows. Wouldn't that solve the problem with glass loss?

6. If they were YOUR windows, WWYD?

Thank you for yout time!

Comments (10)

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

Sash packs will allow higher air infiltration than a full frame replacement. If you are concerned with glass loss, consider a new construction install.

• eleena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"Sash packs will allow higher air infiltration than a full frame replacement."

I understand that. As I said above, this is NOT a discussion of inserts vs. full-frame replacements.
    Let's just say, I have decided to take my chances and go with sash packs or inserts for whatever reason. All I want to know is which ones.

"If you are concerned with glass loss, consider a new construction install. "

I am NOT concerned - not yet. I am asking if I SHOULD be concerned and if so, what the best solution would be.

Thank you!

• millworkman
    12 years ago

From my perspective I would use the sash or tilt pacs, using either the Marvin or Kolbe. Marvin I would use the aluminum clad exterior and Kolbe would either be the aluminum clad exterior or the K-Kron (factory applied exterior finish). Using this type of system your glass sightlines or amount of vision area would not change very much at all!

• eleena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is the thing though. I called Marvin directly and they said I should use a sash pack only if I already have a Marvin window (but I don't). The window guy, recommending sash/insert replacement, sells Kolbe but said it wouldn't work in my windows.

???

• millworkman
    12 years ago

It may have been in an earlier thread that I don't recall but what type of windows do you currently have? Are there any pictures posted? Also I have personally sole Marvin Tilt Pacs to many many people who did not have Marvin windows originally and I am fairly certain 99% of the Tilt Pacs Marvin has sold went into frames other than Marvin.

• eleena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think I was wrong. Marvin Tilt packs would probably work but I am trying to stay away from wood, cladded or not.

That is why I am trying to choose from between vinyl, PVC and FG.

Also, sash replaecement or insert replacement?

Thank you!

• toddinmn
    12 years ago

Vinyl and PVC are 1 in the same. I would suggest looking at the vinyl/PVC and fiberglass windows in person to decide what suits you best and also price them out.
    Insert replacement is the way to go in a vinyl/PVC or fiberglass window, I wuold only consider the sash kit for a wood window.

• millworkman
    12 years ago

eleena, you will more than likely need to go to an insert window of some sort as Tilt os Sash Pacs are not available in either Vinyl or Fiberglass from what I can tell. If they are available it has to be some sort of local or regional smaller type company as none of the national brands that I am aware of make them.

• HomeSealed
    12 years ago

todd, I think that the OP is referring to cellular PVC which is different from conventional vinyl, something like the Windsor Legend... +1 to mwm's post. I've never seen a vinyl sash pack. I'd reiterate that I'm not a fan of sash pack's in general, but if you can find a meticulous installer, they can be okay.

• dennisgli
    12 years ago

4. It is my understanding that vinyl or fiberglass inserts will result in (quite substatial) glass loss. While I am not concerned much about the glass itself, I AM concerned about the overall looks. Would that look a little wierd?

I think this depends on the windows. I installed Andersen Woodwright inserts but my downstairs windows are 39" wide and I haven't found the glass loss to be an issue.

However there is a house in the area that has very narrow (maybe 18"?) windows and they installed vinyl inserts and it looks very odd to me from the outside.