Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amda_gw

Replacing Original Steel Casement Windows

amda
10 years ago

Hi,

we moved into our 1933 house about a year ago. It has original Fenestra steel casements that I was hoping to keep. After a brutal NY winter, i have been converted into thinking that I should replace our original steel casement single pane windows.

They are pretty, and give character to the house, but none of them work as of now. Originally they were all painted shut along with the interior storms. I have restored one completely and it looks just awesome.

I see two ways forward:

a) restore all of them, have custom interior storms (double pane?) built to measure and live with having to remove them each spring and fall. this will probably still not be as efficient as new windows.

b) replace them with new windows following my priorities: clean look, slim frames and sight lines, large glass surface.

I have been collecting quotes from different manufacturers and dealers and these vary greatly. Home Depot is a rip-off, they want to do it quick and dirty, sell cheapest windows at highest mark up. Others were better. Currently I'm looking at:

Andersen A: these are nice big name, I assume decent windows. A 40x50 standard size double casement with a mullion in the middle with fully simulated grid in my color is $1100.

Windsor: For whatever reason their window looks a lot like the original one from the outside. $1050.

Loewen: Have not seen them in person yet, but they are supposed to have a slimmer frame... $1700...

Options without a mullion in the middle (french) are more money, where available. i.e. Windsor does not carry those.

--

Question: Am I looking at the right places? Are there any other brands I should consider? To maximize the glass area I am planning on ripping out the casing to the beams, so these are all new construction. New windows also come with nets that are easy to use...

Feedback appreciated. let me know if I should post pictures.

George

Comments (7)

• Beautifuloldwindows
    10 years ago

George: Your original steel windows are a vanishing resource. If you make an effort to save them, and not toss them in the landfill, you will be doing your old house a very big favor.

You mention they are cold. Insulation is created with stable air. When you pair a single pane window with a well fitting storm, you create inches of stable air. The resulting R-value meets or exceed that of even high end replacement windows with insulated glass. (I know this not just from the studies. I have a few new construction windows in my 1959 house and they are noticably colder than the original windows with storms.) Also, you would not need insulated glass if you were to have custom storms built.

I know of two companies in the Northeast who specialize in steel window restoration, one in Delaware (Window Pro)and one in Peekskill, NY (Seekircher). I'm sure there are others around the country.

Best of luck, and I hope you will give your beautiful old windows a shot.

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

I respectfully disagree with the aforementioned statement regarding steel windows. Metal windows are going to be the LEAST energy efficient and not air tight.
    The higher end vinyl offerings are becoming more and more popular in older homes. These higher end brands are much more energy efficient, air tight, and have more structural integrity than any wood window; they also look very nice. Get the cheap looking vinyl that you are used to seeing out of your head. These are totally different. They also come with true simulated divided grids and a number of different exterior colors.
    I can name a few higher end vinyl brands for you to look into.
    Okna ( Enviro Star ), Sunrise( vanguard or restorations), Soft Lite ( elements), Quantum 2, and Starmark.
    Where in NY are you located?

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

Steel windows are tough to make airtight if they are older and the frames certainly bleed energy like they are open.

You can, in theory, retrofit them to be more efficient but the effort isn't usually worth it as compared to some of the newer technology and more often, ease of completing the task as compared to sourcing the parts to make the retrofit.

• Mike Hardie
    3 years ago

Keep them! I know its been 6 years, but your best bet os to keep the windows and the history. Your internal storms are the way to go!

• Krissy Quinn
    6 months ago

Wondering what you went with. Looking to keep the original 33 steel casement windows on out Tudor and was quoted $3k to $5k per window to rehab them!

• RoyHobbs
    6 months ago

@Krissy Quinn OP posted 9 years ago.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio