Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelledt

Pella ProLine Alum Clad or ??

MichelleDT
12 years ago

I have been searching to find status or settlement details on the Pella ProLine class action and can't find it. Anyone know what current status is? Have any changes been made to the line to fix the issues? We have a bid on the windows at $56K and I really do not want Pella windows.

I am waiting on bids from Kolbe and Kolbe and Windsor. Our architect said Marvin was great but also highest cost. What about Hurd? Sierra Pacific?

I looked at the Milguard Alum windows and did not like them.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (23)

• millworkman
    12 years ago

Personally the only companies I would even entertain purchasing windows from that you list above are Marvin and Kolbe. I would not even consider Pella, Hurd or Sierra Pacific and I am not familiar with Windsor (although what I have heard in the past is mediocre at best) or Milgard.

• MichelleDT
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Millworkman. Just got back the Jeld-Wen estimate and it was $90K. A $40K difference. I suspect Kolbe and Kolbe is going to be in the same range.

• HomeSealed
    12 years ago

I'd echo MWM's comments. Windsor is not as bad as they once were, but they are mid-range at best. I'd definitely stick with Marvin or Kolbe. The Architect/Designer series from Pella is a definite step up from the Proline, but still not in the league of Marvin or Kolbe. Check out the Integrity line from Marvin if you need something more affordable than the Ultimate. Forget the Jeldwen.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

You might be surprised.

Get a Kolbe quote and have Marvin quote it as both their Ultimate and the Integrity line.

Are you looking for just a wood interior or a custom stain finish?

• MichelleDT
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all....will add Marvin to the list.

Plain wood interior no custom stain.

• eleena
    12 years ago

I'd be very interested in seeing the results! I am also waiting for bids from Jeld-Wen and Marvin. Though I will (most likely) not go with Jeld-Wen, I an curious about the price-difference.

• MichelleDT
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Met with the Kolbe rep today to look at options. The windows are far better than the Pella windows (which actually did not have the look we wanted for a modern home). Kolbe has a new interior window trim (no idea what this is called in window speak) that will work with our modern build. The Kolbe Ultra series is not much more than the Pella Pro-Line bid so we are going with Kolbe. We did not bid Marvin. Jeld-Wen could not make the window combos we needed and had to sub far too many windows and the price was NUTS!

• millworkman
    11 years ago

I do believe you have made a good choice and will enjoy the windows for a long time. Please keep us in the loop on your progress and post pictures at very points of completion.

• MichelleDT
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks...we feel very good about Kolbe after looking at Pella, Windsor, Sierra Pacific, Jeldwen, Anderson and Milgard. Will keep the group updated on our experience.

Cheers,

M

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

Kolbe is definitely the cream of that crop. Good choice. :)

• MichelleDT
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well....my excitement lasted until today when the revised quote came back. What was to be "slightly more" than Pella ended up being $6K higher than the first Kolbe quote which was $30K more than Pella. Apparently, their direct set windows are more than casement or awning windows.

I am now looking at Windsor ($15K more than Pella) with Pella as the last resort or maybe Windsor should be my last resort after reading so many negative reviews on Windsor.

Will get a quote from Marvin but my GC said there is no way they will be less than Kolbe.

I am so frustrated looking at windows. It shouldn't be so hard to find a quality window when spending $70-90K.

• PRO
    11 years ago

Michelle,

Where are you building this home?

• MichelleDT
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We are building in Castle Pines, CO (south of Denver). It is a modern Prairie style home (I can post elevations if it helps or anyone has other ideas).

Milgard Thermal Broken Aluminum won't work....they can't make some of the combos we need. JeldWen was $90K and could not make many of the combos. Pella can make the combinations but I don't like the internal look of the windows as they are not very contemporary and when you mix a casement or awning with the fixed, they look stupid (even with a drywall return, no trim). The Pella was 270 glass (I am not a window expert obviously) and the Windsor is 366. The Windsor has the same exterior aluminum paint as the Kolbe, the Pella does not.

Maybe the Windsor is a good compromise between the Pella and the Kolbe.

Gerkin and Fleetwood can't get us the strict 3.X rating the city/county requires (can't remember if they said 3.5).

Storefront windows were more than $160K.

I am going to send the plans to a Marvin dealer and least get a quote. The other window dealer is telling me not to look at Anderson although he does sell them.

Any other ideas?

Appreciate the help.

Michelle

• PRO
    East Bay 10
    11 years ago

Be sure to speak to someone from SolarGlass in Denver as they are one of largest and most knowledgeable Marvin dealers in Colorado.

• MichelleDT
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. I just emailed Solar Glass and Dan Young out of Dallas.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

What about looking into Integrity by Marvin, they are a very good choice as well.

• MichelleDT
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I emailed Solar Glass which has Marvin windows. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the feedback.

• PRO
    11 years ago

Nice area of the country. I had friends of the family that lived in Castle Pines. Nice Golf courses.

I would check with Marvin and Inlne.

• MichelleDT
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes..the courses are beautiful. We will build on the reserve so have amazing views hence then need for wide open windows. Checking with Marvin and will look at Incline.

Thanks.

• MichelleDT
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Quick update - contacted Solar Glass. Marvin will be more than Kolbe. I guess we will just suck up the difference and go with Kolbe. First major item and already $36K over budget unless we go with Pella.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

In my honest opinion I feel Pella would be a mistake but it is your money

• MichelleDT
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We just could not make the decision to go with Pella. Kolbe it is but at a helft premium.

Thanks for all the help as we waded through the options.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

I am sorry you had to go over your budget and spend more than you were looking to spend and it is easy for me to say but in my honest opinion you made a wise choice.