Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fiberglass or Steel Door for Balcony???

Posted by pajamanyc (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 19, 10 at 11:13

I am replacing a small wooden door on our balcony which is terribly weather-beaten. There is nothing over the balcony to protect it from rain/snow and it faces south and gets a tremendous amount of sunlight.

Which do you think will hold up better under those weather conditions - fiberglass or steel? Which is better in terms of expanding and contracting based on changes in temperature? Also, should I be concerned with steel denting?

Any advice is appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fiberglass or Steel Door for Balcony???

Fiberglass will hold up best under, but either door will outlast a wood door frame in those conditions

o

Thanks, Afsa. I've been looking at the Jeld Wen doors in fiberglass and may opt for one of those as it seems like the concensus is that fiberglass is the way to go.

Any other opinions out there???

o

I'm in the same situation as you are. Make sure you buy a door that also has a fiberglass frame or brick mold or whatever its called. You don't want any wood to rot later. Also, if your window will have muntins (is that what they are called)-- I mean simulated divided lights -- make sure you see what you are getting. Some companies make the muntins thicker that look much more like real wood.

o

Thanks, Jessica12. You're right about the figerglass frame and that's what we're going to get. Also, I just googled "muntins" as I was not familiar with the term. Based on the description I read, it seems like muntins won't be an issue for us since we're going for a simple door with one large, solid panel of glass (no multiple/divided panes). If I'm not understanding you correctly, please feel free to let me know.

Appreciate the info!

o

Muntins are the technical term for grids.

They do not make the frame of the door out of fiberglass but they will make the bottom 12 or so inches out of the frame out of a PVC/wood hybrid that will not rot. This is where 99% of doors rot or start to rot.

A fiberglass door will probably be your better option.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here