Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conniest_gw

Andersen 200 windows not shimmed

conniest
13 years ago

We had the 200 tilt in to clean installed in new construction. I was never happy with the amount of air coming in and about the 5 month point we actually noticed light between some sashes and frames. Andersen gave me the name of a certified tech/installer and he tool one look and said that the windows needed re shimmed. (it turned out they were never shimmed at all.) The wood trim was taken off and drywall removed around 30 some windows and they were shimmed. Well.....it didn't completely work. We can still see light out of some and a flashlight from the outside at night yielded an unbelievable amount of light. The builder is bringing someone from Andersen in here tomorrow and already told me that the windows will need to be removed from the outside and reinstalled. I wonder if I should just insist on new windows. Are the frames warped from not being shimmed beyond hope. Expert advice would be very much appreciated!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (6)

• conniest
    Original Author
    13 years ago

another picture

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• skydawggy
    13 years ago

Although I really hope you can get something worked out to your satisfaction, keep in mind you purchased limited-budget windows. There is a reason they were priced so cheaply. Manufacturers have a way of knowing what their product is worth and I don't think you can reasonable expect top shelf performance from a low end product. Sorry in advance if this isn't what you wanted to hear.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    13 years ago

If the windows were adjusted properly, it is a window issue at that point.

Are the jambs on the windows (vertical sections that the sashes slide up and down in) level, plumb, and square?

If not, there may be what is referred to as a "jamb jack" on the sides. The are a small screw that can be loosened or tightened to adjust the jamb in for level and plumb.

If they are level and plumb, that is a window issue.

• jocobe
    13 years ago

Andersen 200 Series Tilt Wash windows are fine as long as the jambs are plumb. Shimming isn't really the issue, just the sides need to be straight. Taking the interior trim off and shimming is not necessarily going to correct the problem if the side jambs are locked in place due to the nails in the nailing frame around the exterior of the frame. If it's something like vinyl siding, I would remove that, as well as the interior casing around the window. Plumb the jambs, shim if necessary, remove and reinstall the nails in the nailing flange. If you have brick, that's gonna be another problem.

I can guarantee that this is not an Andersen issue, but an installation issue. Skydawggy is correct, this is not the best window in Andersen's line, however the problem here is the low end installer.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    13 years ago

I totally breezed over the new construction tag.

This is an installation issue most certainly. Shimming after the fact will do zilch if the fin is pulling the outside edge like jocobe says.

I hope it is siding as well. If it is brick, get ready to cut them out.

• cobast5_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Our siding is hardiplank. The windows need replaced. I am waiting for the builder's response. They can add it to replacing wavy wood floors, pulling jetted tub and properly supporting it, redoing the HVAC because they went against the engineers design and only installed one trunk line, and way more than I have time to list.