Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pors996_gw

Question on Pricing

pors996
12 years ago

I am in the process of building a house, most likely going to go with Andersen 400 series, maybe 200 but regardless I am trying to figure out the pricing. I got 3 quotes from local lumber yards all very close to each other. I happen to be at Home Depot the other day and they quoted me exact same windows as lumber yard. Quote was about $2000.00 less.

I have a lot of windows about 60, and they were about 10% less than everyone else. So it adds up quick. Is Home Depot usually the most competitive?

Comments (7)

• GulfBreezeWindows
    12 years ago

They are not always the most competitive, but they can drive the price down because of buy power.

*rant* They, and big blue are what have hurt small companies grrr *rant*.

But they have a place in our world.

Biggest issue I've seen with them and the others is sometimes, their ordering and know how are little to be desired.

I always push to use local as much as possible, including seeing if any of your locals can match their price. If they can't then you know where to order from.

• HomeSealed
    12 years ago

I agree with Andrew. Ask the lumber yard to match the price (or at least get closer). Yeah it is the same product, but you'll decrease the odds of problems (ordering issues, damage from handling, expertise, etc) if you work with a supply house. It is an awfully big purchase and you want to work with the most competent people possible.

• millworkman
    12 years ago

+1 on GulfBreeze, and I completely agree in the "their ordering and know how are little to be desired.". Thru the years I have ran into the same issue many times with the products not being ordered properly, specifications not met, just plain out screwed the pooch on the order. They will inevitably get you the correct products if the contract was worded correctly (not always the case) but in the end the homeowner suffers thru delays in construction and or settling for the incorrect product.

• pors996
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I will def offer the local lumber yard to the chance to match, and even if it was a few hundred difference I would buy at lumber but 2500 to 3k is a lot of money.

• millworkman
    12 years ago

just make certain if you do order from HD, that the "i"'s are dotted and the "t"'s are crossed because they have been know to screw up the order. Make certain the screens, grilles and any accessories they order for you are genuine Andersen. Double and triple check the sizes dimensions and quantities twice as getting them to replace or reorder something that is wrong can be like having teeth pulled by going in through your ass!

• LE
    12 years ago

Last year we ordered 4 garage windows and a "man door" from a local place and it took 3 tries to get the right door. Our contractor said that in 35 years in the business, he'd never seen a window order come in 100% correct the first time. I thought that was odd, but maybe more common than I'd like to think?

• millworkman
    12 years ago

Or more than likely where you contractor shops as I personally have had 's come in properly. Don;t get me wrong I have made mistake as I am human but a quality millwork shop has experienced people who check and double check orders for all millwork.