Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim9820

Pella Proline vs. Jeld Wen Siteline EX

jim9820
13 years ago

We are replacing 13 large casement windows and a patio door in our house near Chicago and have a few estimates so far:

Marvin Ultimate at $38k, Pella Designer with blinds at $41k, Pella Proline at $30k and Jeldwen Siteline Ex at $29k.

The prices seem high to me for this number of windows and we cannot decide if we should continue getting estimates or make a decision. We want wood windows but the better quality ones are probably out of our price range. Is it a mistake to go with the Proline or Siteline Ex?

Is there another option we are missing? I'm stopping by an Andersen dealer today. Thanks all for any suggestions.

Comments (37)

• PRO
    East Bay 10
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It does seem high. Are you looking at full tear outs or replacements? This won't make a great difference in the cost of the windows but will save substantially on the installation. You sound like a candidate for a replacement casement and I know Marvin and Andersen both make one. I would check that out. Good luck

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    13 years ago

What is it about the wood window that is appealing?

• jim9820
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We are looking at full tear-outs. The house is only 22 years old but the original ROW windows have leaked and warped and we plan on living here for a long time so want to do the full replacement.

It's a Georgian style house with 4 large windows in front and a large bay window in the back. All of the trim, crown-molding and cabinets are oak so we would like to keep the look of the wood and haven't seen any convincing vinyl options.

• PRO
    13 years ago

Try Fiberglass (more specifically) the Infinity with the Everwood option.

Really good looking window and you save on the lack of a full tear out.

• mydreamhome
    13 years ago

I'm with WindowsonWashington. If you want the new construction version it will be the Marvin Integrity Wood Ultrex. I spent months & months & months researching Alum-Clad windows. Here's what I learned--roll form aluminum will dent easily (think hail or just a foot to the patio door). Pella's windows are clad in roll form aluminum. Jeld-Wen Siteline EX advertises how they're superior to the Pella because they're extruded aluminum & won't dent as easy--but they fail to mention that their extruded aluminum is applied like roll form is, right up against the wood without any gap. this means if water gets in, it can't get out & will sit right up against the wood. Now you know why both companies make such a big deal about their wood being treated against rot. Do you really want to take that chance?

The Infinity & Integrity windows are fiberglass, won't dent, won't fade, 8 times stronger than vinyl and made by Marvin so you know you've got a manufacturer that stands behind their product. You can get them with wood interior or fiberglass interior. If I'm not mistaken, their U-Values & SHGC are better then Pella & Jeld-Wen so more energy efficient. And they're less expensive than Pella, Jeld-Wen & Anderson aluminum clad.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marvin Integrity Site

• pbx2_gw
    11 years ago

Hi - raising this comparison back from the dead:
    Our builder said the color we want is a custom ie more cost color in the Jeld-Wen Siteline EX windows that were supposed to go into our house.

He has suggested Pella windows as an alternative for colors.
    We don't know much about windows but research shows most people think Jeld-Wen & Pella are 'meh' @ best.

Are the suggestion for the Marvin's still hold true?

What is considered comps to the Jeld-Wen Siteline EX in the Marvin brand & other brands?

Would appreciate the feedback.

Thanks.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Really nothing as the Ultrex window (Marvin's price point window) is much better in my opinion than the best Jeldwen. Price wise not really certain any longer as I am not in the residential window business.

• pbx2_gw
    11 years ago

Is the Wood Ultrex what you are referring to?

• PRO
    11 years ago

The Marvin Integrity.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Wood Ultrex or all Ultrex, either or but the Wood Ultrex will be a little more expensive and in most peoples opinion a better looking unit as well.

• WindowShopper50
    11 years ago

I just posted a long post and it failed to go through. So here we go again. First, stay away from Pella, especially the Proline series (they have had a class action lawsuit against them for rotting wood.)Jeld-Wen Siteline isn't a bad window, tho "MyDreamHome" above is correct about the wood right up against the metal, though Jeld-Wen uses Auralast wood, which offers pretty good wood protection from rot or insect infestation. Otherwise, I agree that it is pretty much a "meh" window. Marvin is a really, really good brand, but I don't think they are worth that much money (myself). Stay away from windows with extruded aluminum frame and rollform sashes (different fade rates, think two tone windows in 5 years.) For windows with a lot of color choices, check out Semco. They have quite a few dealers in the Chicago area. They are a smaller company, and don't do much advertising, but it's a pretty decent window and they have 26 standard colors. Hurd's not a bad window, but stay away from the H3 category window. I also am not happy that they filed bankruptcy, got permission to void their warranty, and then just went back without any repercussions. Windsor Windows is also represented in your area. Economical decent window....just make sure you ask and pay extra for 2604 paint. Also, ask about their decorator colors. Again, a little bit of an upgrade, but you still won't come close to the Marvin price you have been quoted. Also, one last question. The window prices you were quoted....was that installed prices?

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Windowshopper I am very curious to hear where you "shop for windows" as what your calling decent windows are pretty much recognized by anyone who has done some research to be crap. Coupled with the fact that you registered today it sounds like you either work for or own a window company in the Chicago area and your spamming the site!!!!

• millworkman
    11 years ago

My apologies if I offended you, this site seems to attract allot of spammers who register one day and pump up the products they sell and then are never heard from again. Personally I would never use Pella even in a dog house as I am not a fan of them at all, also not a fan of either Windsor nor Hurd as i have sold them both and on Long Island neither are worth a dam in my opinion. Do not know much at all about Semco but vinyl is not my bag either but I think extruded fiberglass is the next best thing to a quality wood product at least in my mind. I currently do not even sell windows residentially but Marvin and Kolbe are about the only two companies I could in good consciousness recommend in wood or wood clad windows. I agree completely on the roll form aluminum wrap (cannot even consider it a cladding). Currently I am in the contract glazing business doing predominantly commercial work with Storefront and Curtainwall material. Again no offense meant.

• PRO
    11 years ago

Millworkman doesn't need any help from me but it did read a bit spammy to me as well.

That is just how it read to me.

Glad to have another qualified individual on board though.

• WindowShopper50
    11 years ago

MillworkMan, thanks for the reply. Semco does not have a Vinyl line. It is a quality wood window with 26 standard extruded aluminum, powder coated (AAMA2604)colors. It's actually a really nice window. Builders and installers in particular are really fond of it (though it is a heavy window) because of the nail fin (extruded aluminum, but hinged). Marvin's standard paint is an AAMA 2605, and Marvin's ultimate casement has a nifty rotating sash that is easy to disengage, spin it to the inside, and clean, then re-engage and crank it back out. But other than that, I feel Semco has some advantages: a) the standard drip cap is an extruded aluminum that serves as an integral head flashing, Marvin's standard is a clear plastic. b) Marvin's side stop is a composite material with a wood veneer, Semco's is solid wood. Nothing wrong with the composite material, but you wouldn't expect it on something that is 50 to 65% higher in price than the Semco. c)As mentioned previously, Super Spacer is one of the best methods I have seen personally for insulating glass (both Windsor and Semco use Superspacer - Marvin's is still an aluminum spacer).d) as mentioned previously not only is Semco's nail fin hinged, it IS extruded aluminum. Marvin's standard is a flexible vinyl. I think you can get an aluminum fin for extra money. e) Semco's standard glass is Lo E 366 with argon (the workhorse of all the Lo E's, 3 coats of silver and 66% visible light transmission) and Marvin's standard is Lo E II with argon. f Semco is one of the only windows I have ever seen where they inject expanding insulating foam into the cavities created by the aluminum extrusion at the head and sill. I'm not sure that it creates that much better of an insulating factor, but the fact that they have added so many nice little "extras" in their windows would indicate overall quality. I checked on Semco's site for dealers in your area and unfortunately I had to look in a 100 mile radius to find anything. But there were four: Elmsford & Rodlyn NY, and Paterson and Long Branch New Jersey. With regard to Windsor, were you dealing with an aluminum clad window or was it the Legend (composite material) or even their vinyl line? I would have to agree regarding the Legend (it's junk) and I have never used their vinyl. Other than the 2603 paint, I think it actually is a decent window for the money. A LOT of wood in the product, (though the wood IS radiata Pine where Semco's are Western Pines as is Marvin's standard). I used to be pretty suspicious of radiata pine but builders tell me that they use it all the time and have never had problems with it. So I sorta got over it (obviously not completely over it, or I would not deem it necessary to point that out now). Windsor does own their own forests, however, so there is that. Windsor has a plant in Iowa, and a plant in Charlotte North Carolina so they get pretty good distribution in the south. Semco is in Wisconsin (what I refer to as Window Mecca)and their distribution is more in the midwest. It is used in some pretty high end homes here in the south and is widely used in the mountain areas of North Carolina, not so much in the piedmont areas. I like the Green aspect of the Marvin Integrity. The biggest problem with the Integrity line has been the limitations in product offering. They added a new color (effective today actually) and that is Ebony. They have five other colors to offer. The ultrex (which is Fiberglass with a wood interior) has more product offering (sizes and shapes) than the All Integrity window (which is a fiberglass inside and out and that presented some design issues so you can't get a swing door and only a narrow rail slididng door - a few more options with the ultrex interior). anyway, I am enjoying the conversation and I hope some of this has been helpful to the OP in Chicago. (didn't really mean to hijack the conversation). I love windows and could talk about them all day long.

• WindowShopper50
    11 years ago

And for the record...when is the last time you actually tried spam? I did recently, and it tastes a little better than I remember. I'm just sayin....

• millworkman
    11 years ago

lol, I was never a fan of radiata (lumber business for 15 yrs) pine either. As I said have not been in the residential end of the window business for a while now and Semco very well may be a great product. I will defer to you on that and take your word on them. As far as spam, meh....... And I definitley look forward to your future posts as you def seem like windows are in your blood.

• PRO
    11 years ago

I like SOS...that is kind of like the spam of breakfast foods.

• Tracy Fritzler
    8 years ago

Wow! I enjoyed the read here...lol! Seriously, getting ready to build in the Charlotte area...pretty much had already decided on the Alum Clad window...clueless on which manufacturer to go with and of course, cost is always something to consider...I was leaning toward Jeld-Wen but this feed has definitely made me take another look at Marvin. Windowshopper50, I've printed your post and plan to take a look at the Semco and Windsor lines before making any decisions. Thanks to all for the feedback!

• millworkman
    8 years ago

Personally Semco and Windsor are in the same part of the barrel with Jeldwen, and at the same level (just above the bottom).

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    8 years ago

I agree with millworkman on Semco and Windsor.

Marvin is the best, Kolbe is a great second choice, and if the budget requires a less expensive window Andersen's E series is worth a look.

• Tracy Fritzler
    8 years ago

UltraWindows - What sets the three you mentioned apart from Jeldwen, Windsor and Semco?

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    8 years ago

build quality & fit and finish of the final product, reputation among professionals for honoring warranties

• krypton
    8 years ago

Agree with that 100%.

• PRO
    Heights Historic Window and Door LLC
    8 years ago

Millworkman is as always spot on. Loewen or LaPage are other options worth looking at.

• millworkman
    8 years ago

Hello Patrick!

• PRO
    Heights Historic Window and Door LLC
    8 years ago

Hello Maestro..

• PRO
    Brian G
    8 years ago

I've sold all these brands except pella. Pella uses cheap roll form alum, that's surely not worth the extra money!!! The guy saying Jeldwen siteline wood clad windows and doors are not good, is completely wrong. The Extruded alum is thick, and the wood interior is aurolast, lifetime warranty. They warranty it because they know they don't need to service it. And the price beats the other brands!!! Marvin integrity is crap. I sold two jobs of large double hungs. Problems problems. Material to thin to accommodate for large openings. Limited sizing, etc etc

• PRO
    8 years ago

I read the warranty as 20 years and 10 years if you transfer it. A 10 year transferable warranty is all you will see out of any wood window. If it is that good, why not give it a 20 year transferable and true lifetime?

9dc159b43a66b1fe0a49-bd2073f7c8dbd16f36eed639782493f0.r48.cf1.rackcdn.com/3585/Window_Warranty_Eff_02-01-2014_Cert.pdf

• jbhanley
    4 years ago

I'd be interested if the quotes for the windows are from window dealers that are installing them. Those companies charge crazy prices for installation, and the homeowner has no clue as to the competency of the installation crew. IMO, the only way to go is to have a trusted finish carpenter measure and install windows and the contractor will be buying the windows from a builders supply company at a significant discount to what an average homeowner will pay for the same window. The most important aspect of the whole process is the quality of the installation. Lousy windows installed by a conscientious pro will last longer than top dollar windows installed by a schmuck. Any work done on a house that will come in contact with water had better done by the book or you'll be in a world of misery.

• PRO
    4 years ago

You are correct that the installation is certainly important. Tough to say it is as important as the product as they are both important and you don't want a great window installed poorly or a great install on a junk window.

To your comment about a finish carpenter installing windows, maybe. If you don't trust the competency of contractor, that is a side issue. In terms of the skill set of windows installers, the crews that I know would happily put up their workmanship against a finish carpenter's and especially in the case of a pocket set (the majority of window installations). When it comes to pocket sets, a finish carpenter's brake work will be questionable to say the least.

• mary329
    3 years ago

I live in Brooklyn any thoughts comparing Kolbe ultra series window and Jenn Weld Siteline windows double hung replacement windows? I need to replace Trimline windows which were new and installed two years ago and are terribly drafty.

• millworkman
    3 years ago

Kolbe is a Ferrari compared to the Jeldwen Yugo. Jeldwen may be just as bad or about an 1/8" of an inch further up the food chain from Trimline.

• mary329
    3 years ago

Thank you for your help. When I started to research Kolbe I found all these bad reviews about condensation in the windows, leaks, screens being flimsy that is why I was moving to the Jeld wen have you heard those reviews? These are for double hung replacement windows wood on inside and aluminum clad on the outside fyi please address whether you have heard these reviews. Thank you millworkman

• millworkman
    3 years ago

I personally have sold quite a bit of Kolbe (not in the last 12 years for full disclosure, commercial only though I personally am friends with Kolbe retailers, dealers, and service people). You hear occasional complaints about everyone but I would say those complaints I have never heard of.

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    3 years ago

I agree with Millworkman - I’ve never heard of the complaints you mention. Kolbe is considered by most of the pros here to be one of the best manufacturers of wood windows, along with Marvin. Andersen’s A series is very nice as well.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional