Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phxremodel

Fiberglass windows in Phoenix, AZ

phxremodel
11 years ago

We are remodeling our home and new window installation has become a mystery. Despite many salespersons pushing vinyl, we have narrowed down our decision to use fiberglass windows over vinyl for several reasons. We don't like the look of vinyl and have also read that the vinyl doesn't hold up well in the desert heat.

Would anyone have recommendations on what mfg and type of fiberglass windows to consider? Ours is not a luxury home, so top of the line is not necessary. Function and then appearance would be our priorities.

Comments (17)

• window_mike
    11 years ago

Are you looking for an all fiberglass window or a fiberglass exterior with a wood interior?

• phxremodel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We are looking for all fiberglass window, as I believe the fiberglass exterior with wood interior would stretch the pricing too much for us.

This post was edited by phxremodel on Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 11:15

• window_mike
    11 years ago

Integrity by Marvin is great and i have heard Milgard and Provia makes a nice Fiberglass window. Neither one is going to be cheap but they are not super expensive iether. They will cost more than your average vinyl window of course. I can tell you that an Integrity All Ultrex DH window 36x48 will price around $300-$325 per window in your area. Beleive it or not the wood Interior version would be 5-10% less.

• phxremodel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for your help and advice! Will look at those options.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

+1

The Integrity is probably the nicest fiberglass window that is nationally available.

• phxremodel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Unfortunately there is only one Marvin Window dealer in the Phoenix metro area. Will check them out and hope they are fair and helpful.

• swmotz
    11 years ago

We live in St. Louis, Mo. What kind of upkeep would a fiberglass window frame require?

• PRO
    11 years ago

By design, it should require no maintenance.

• phxremodel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We have a snag in our windows. Currently there is a long glass window next to the front door. From the outside of the frame it measures 71" long and 7 1/2" wide (visible glass measures 5" across). We are told that we cannot get a fiberglass window with that short of a width. any ideas what we can do? We had wanted white interior frames and if we leave that window, it would be the dark alum bronze color.

• PRO
    11 years ago

Ask them if they can do a sash pack or IGU in that case.

• phxremodel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ok, will do. So would that mean that the window would have a wood frame?

• millworkman
    11 years ago

How about a direct set unit?

• phxremodel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am not sure what any of these terms mean...will ask about that as well.

• Cindy
    10 years ago

Did you decide to use Marvin windows and if so, are you happy with the decision? Did DMI AZ in Mesa install them or did they refer you to an installer?

We are looking for replacement windows for our home in Queen Creek and Marvin Fiberglass and Simonton Vinyl with aluminum sash reinforcement windows continue to come up in online searches as the best options. The home is only 7 years old but it seems the original owner/builder used cheap windows.

• Gail Bohan
    8 years ago

Cindla and phxremodel - If you are still around what window did you go with and how are they working out? I am in Chandler AZ researching windows

• Gail Bohan
    8 years ago

Thank you for responding phxremodel. We always check the trades THOUROUGHLY. I will add Rose's list to my list of places to check. What were the heartaches if I can say.