Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
syrinx7

Vinyl windows and window air conditioners.

syrinx7
16 years ago

We are planning to replace all our double hung windows with vinyl replacement windows in the near future. The first floor in our home has a ductless a/c system, but we still need to use window air conditioners on the second floor for the time being. I'd like to know what the best way is to put an a/c unit in a vinyl window, or if it's even feasable at all. I don't imagine that drilling holes and screwing the unit into the vinyl is a very good idea, so if anyone has a work around for this I'm all ears. Thanks in advance!

Comments (8)

• theporchguy
    16 years ago

A window installer for many years, I've removed and replaced A/C's into new vinyl replacement windows more times then I care to remember.
    They are so EZ to install. Install it the same way you would in a regular wood window.
    Place it in the window and spread the sides. Drill two pilot holes through the two holes on top rail of the A/C and insert 3/4" screws. Your done!

All the best,
    The Porch Guy

• syrinx7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Porchguy! Believe me I'm pretty well versed in the art of installing window a/c units, a lot more than I'd like to be in fact. ;=) It's just that I thought it would damage or ruin the efficiency of a vinyl window to drill screw holes in it to install an air conditioner. And I was also concerned about the window being strong, or rigid enough to support the unit.

Sounds to me that it's pretty common for people to mount these in vinyl windows from what you're saying, which surprises me a little. Thanks again.

• skydawggy
    16 years ago

If you are planning on drilling holes into a vinyl window, you should be advised it may void your factory warranty. If you are planning on drilling into the wood frame you may void any installation warranty. I'd check with the manufacturer and installer before purchasing the windows. If they tell you it won't void any warrantys, I'd make sure to get it in writing.

• syrinx7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Sky. I hadn't thought of that before, but yeah I can see where that could potentially void the warranty. I guess I'm looking for a way to safely install the a/c without drilling holes into the window itself until we have a central a/c system installed on our second floor. If anyone has any ideas please throw em at me.

• skydawggy
    16 years ago

If you are having a window installation company do your windows, I'd bring the AC problem up to them. There can be some issues depending on the sill design ie. pocket or stepped sill. Some manuf. even offer an AC sill as an option. Or you can get a bracket that can be installed into the wall stud below the AC unit.

If the AC bracket can be installed by drilling into the wood, you should be OK as long as the trim coil is sealed at the hole. Most window companys have a fairly nominal charge to install the AC as part of the job, $25-$50 so it may be worth it to have them do it for you.

I can almost guarantee you the warranty will be voided if you drill into the vinyl sill. We always obtain a written exclusion from the factory even when the window has a wired security alarm system, just to protect the customer. If you can get an exclusion, make sure the holes are sealed up well as it could allow water seepage that will eventually rot the wood casing under it.

Let us know how it works out.

• syrinx7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Sky, will do! When the time comes I will ask about the a/c brackets, which seem to make a lot of sense. Much appreciated!

• millworkman
    4 years ago

12 year old post, nice digging.