Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tonton101

Replacement Window for Existing Vinyl Windo

Tonton101
12 years ago

Hi,

The previous owner of the house decided to replace just one window out of 10 old single-pane aluminum windows throughout the house. The one and only vinyl window was a nail on window instead of flush fin replacement window; I am not exactly sure why they did that but that is all said and done. Since I plan on replacing all the other windows with flush fin vinyl replacement windows I would like to replace the existing nail on window as well since it won't match with rest of the new windows.

At this point I have couple of questions and I would like to get some advice from the folks on this board.

1. The net frame opening of the existing vinyl window is about .5 inches smaller than the window in the other bed room. Should I match the net frame opening of the other window with this one (by using wood strip to reduce the net frame opening)? Or I should get my angle grinder and enlarge the opening of the odd-ball vinyl window. This is important since the bed room windows are in the front of the house, therefore I want them to be the same.

2. I assume I can just get a flush fin replacement window and insert it to the odd-ball vinyl window opening, just like what I do with the aluminum windows right?

3. For the life of me I can't get the fixed sash to move. There is no screw/locking pin for the fixed sash, do I need to get my rubber mallet and scraper out and hammer out the middle bar that holds the fixed sash in place?

Thanks

Comments (7)