Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tonton101

Replacement Window for Existing Vinyl Windo

Tonton101
12 years ago

Hi,

The previous owner of the house decided to replace just one window out of 10 old single-pane aluminum windows throughout the house. The one and only vinyl window was a nail on window instead of flush fin replacement window; I am not exactly sure why they did that but that is all said and done. Since I plan on replacing all the other windows with flush fin vinyl replacement windows I would like to replace the existing nail on window as well since it won't match with rest of the new windows.

At this point I have couple of questions and I would like to get some advice from the folks on this board.

1. The net frame opening of the existing vinyl window is about .5 inches smaller than the window in the other bed room. Should I match the net frame opening of the other window with this one (by using wood strip to reduce the net frame opening)? Or I should get my angle grinder and enlarge the opening of the odd-ball vinyl window. This is important since the bed room windows are in the front of the house, therefore I want them to be the same.

2. I assume I can just get a flush fin replacement window and insert it to the odd-ball vinyl window opening, just like what I do with the aluminum windows right?

3. For the life of me I can't get the fixed sash to move. There is no screw/locking pin for the fixed sash, do I need to get my rubber mallet and scraper out and hammer out the middle bar that holds the fixed sash in place?

Thanks

Comments (7)

• HomeSealed
    12 years ago

1. I would match the sizes.
    2. Generally speaking, a new vinyl window cannot be placed inside of an existing vinyl window. You'll need to rip that one out, then build a buck frame to the size of the new window.
    3.That upper sash is probably part of the extrusion and will not move. Again, the whole frame will need to come out.

Hope that helps. :)

• Tonton101
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the advice.

The windows I have are horizontal sliding windows. Is there a specific reason why I can't put a new vinyl replacement window inside of an existing vinyl window?

If I can't do that can I just grab my saw and cut out the vinyl frame and screw the replacement window into the frame?

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

I have never seen it personally done like that but it is tough to visualize your scenario without seeing a picture.

Normally, you would cut out the old sash and frame and install directly to the drywall, old wood buck of the previous window, or rough opening.

• HomeSealed
    12 years ago

tonton, the reason is that most vinyl windows are designed to fit inside the "pocket" of a full framed wood window. They cannot accept another window of the same size. Any attempt to attach a smaller vinyl window into an original one will be disastrous. The only exception would be a full framed wood unit that just has vinyl cladding on the exterior. By your description, you have a full vinyl single-hung, and it just cannot be done.

• Tonton101
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is very bad news indeed. I am not sure what I should do with the existing vinyl window; it will not match the replacement windows I would like to use for rest of the home (Milgard Tuscany windows). I guess ripping the vinyl window out and build a buck frame to match the net frame opening of the other matching window is the way to go...

• HomeSealed
    12 years ago

Now you are sounding like an expert! :D

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

+1

That is the way to go in this case.