Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tabteacher

Vinyl Windows-different colors on each side

tabteacher
12 years ago

Hello--I'll give a little background before I get to my question. We live in southern Indiana. We built our house in 1989-90. In our old house we had installed J J Grundy vinyl replacement windows & they were a dream compared to the ones I had before with storm windows & numerous trips in & out to wash. Anyway, I @ least wanted windows that would tilt in for me to wash. The lumber yard/home center where our builder bought his items only had Caradco with that option. Even tho everyone advised me to get Pella or Andersen, I held out for Caradco. Big mistake. The aluminum discolored, moisture got in between the glass, my husband had to put dowel rods to hold up the top sash up, the wood inside cracked, the windows were too heavy for me to tilt in by myself, the grids broke, etc. I did contact the company about the aluminum discoloring & was told I was supposed to go out every six months & wax the aluminum with car wax.

Fast forward to this month & hail is causing us to get one window replaced by insurance. (They offered us $139 for an aluminum clad window with wood inside--full replacement value--another story.) We have decided this is a good reason to replace all the windows. I sorta wanted to go back to vinyl. My husband is wanting to stick with the aluminum clad wood window & paint the inside again to match the woodwork.

Ah, the question. Does anyone know a company that makes good vinyl windows that are white on the outside & tan/sand/beige on the inside? All our woodwork is painted a camel/tan/sand/beige color. We also wants grids in the glass with a different color on each side-white out & the tan inside. We have tried Soft-Lite & Wincore. No luck. Soft-Lite did say they could paint the outside. Of a vinyl window? I think Simonton may offer two colors too, but we are finding that lots of companies who offer two different colors only have white on the inside & a different color outside & we need the opposite. I can't find the Simonton brand around here.

If we have to go with aluminum clad with wood inside to paint, we are considering Hurd or Marvin. Any thoughts? We saw so many company with class action law suits against them. These seemed relatively safe. My husband thought for sure he wanted Pella this time. I didn't care for the lady selling them & then we found the lawsuit info, so we ruled them out.

And then there is the fiberglass/composite windows. I can't find much info & haven't researched colors there.

I'm sure my post is too long, but this is all twirling around in my head. We sorta are on a time restraint too as we have to get insurance a price on the window they are replacing.

I appreciate any info anyone could offer. Thanks so much.

Comments (35)

• HomeSealed
    12 years ago

Marvin is an excellent choice in wood or fiberglass, while Softlite, HiMark, and Sunrise make great vinyl. Any of those will be able to do the color combo that you prefer. If you don't want the worry of maintenance, then you've already experienced what happens to a wood window (although the Marvin's should last longer). If they are painted anyway, I generally push people toward vinyl for the performance and value, but the wood and fiberglass/composite options have benefits as well.

• millworkman
    12 years ago

+1 on the Marvin if Alum. Clad/Wood, HomeSealed will know better than I on the vinyl but what he is recommending I have been told is the cream of the crop in vinyl. Stay away from Hurd!

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

Hurd used to make a halfway decent window back in the day but their quality is highly suspect these days.

Marvin would be my recommendation on clad wood as well as fiberglass.

• WindowDog
    12 years ago

Fiberglass is paintable. I wouldn't paint vinyl, no matter what anyone says.

The two color grids might narrow your choices quite a bit.

Other than that, I go with what was posted above.

• tabteacher
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, everyone for the replies.

@ WindowDog--our grids are not 2 colors now, so I guess that wouldn't be a deal breaker. I don't think my hubby would go for painted vinyl either.

@ Toddinmn--We were looking @ the Pella Architect Series & had almost decided to go with them when we read about the lawsuit against them for wood rot & that they are still making the windows the same way. However, I think this is casement windows only, & we are getting double hung. Any idea/thoughts?

Is Andersen Renewal any good? I've read pros & cons about them.

@ HomeSealed--I'm gonna go check the vinyl companies you mentioned now.

Again, thanks. I appreciate you all taking the time to answer.

• tabteacher
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Update

@ HomeSealed--the SoftLite & Sunrise windows are not available in white outside & tan inside. It looks like the HiMark 500 Series might possibly be. But I can't find anyplace on their website to put in my zipcode to find a dealer. I tried calling the company & was shuffled from dept to dept & never ever got a live person.

• WindowDog
    12 years ago

Renewal is made of fibrex, which is a compromised vinyl and only has a 10 yr warranty. Pretty window, not so good.

Check out Marvin Integrity or Infinity also. There are color options and you can paint the inside any color you want.

• HomeSealed
    12 years ago

+1 to Window Dogs's comments... On the vinyl options, Sunrise and Softlite have vinyl in tan/almond that can then get a white exterior coating if I am not mistaken (I'd phrase it exactly like that when you ask). This is the same process that would be used for almost all other vinyl windows as well. Plygem has a white interior laminate that they put on a tan extrusion which is nice, however, the product itself is a step down from the others mentioned. To my knowledge, Okna/HiMark recently opened a new dealer in Indiana, however I'm not sure whether or not they would service your area. If I recall, they are out of the Indianapolis area.
    On Pella, the same problems that they have with the casements exist with the DH's as well. It has to do with how they clad the exterior. Not a bad window, imo, but that is definitely a downside.

• PRO
    12 years ago

In addition to the options listed, you could get the Starmark cellular composite window with its paintable/stainable interior as an option too.

I like all of the other options mentioned (fiberglass, etc) as well.

• toddinmn
    12 years ago

Did not realize Ply-Gem offered a white laminate interior. I would consider this window as it is good and not a huge step down.

• HomeSealed
    12 years ago

Todd, they are the only manufacturer that does that as far as I know. Its not common, but nice to offer when needed. I have not had anybody request it in the last yr or so, but I assume its still available. ;)

• tabteacher
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all again.

I can find no vinyl company who will do white on the outside & tan/almond on the inside. I finally got a reply from HiMark & the girl was even very snippy about them not doing it it. Didn't know what her problem was?

I do not want aluminum clad wood. I don't want to try to wax 2nd story windows. And the ones I have now are horrible & all I read is they are not good windows & rot out & cause structure damage.

No one in my area will even talk about fiberglass windows.

So I am stuck & very disappointed & somewhat upset. In this economy don't you think someone would want to sell a house full of windows & offer what people want?

• tabteacher
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, I have a lead. A lady @ the Simonton Window Company tells me I can have this on a Reflections 5500 window in the Decora or Decorum (?) color series. I called the local distributor I found on their website & he says the windows are so new to them that they really know nothing about them yet. He is talking to the company & will call me back in the AM.

Do any of you know if this is a decent vinyl window company & grade/style of window?

• PRO
    12 years ago

Have you tried contacting Marvin Infinity directly to see who they have in your area?

• HomeSealed
    12 years ago

tab, the person that you spoke to was mistaken. The HiMark 500 series is available in an almond extrusion with a white painted exterior. Ironically enough, I was dealing with a similar request just today. The real question is whether you even have a HiMark or Okna dealer in your area. If so, I'd deal through them rather than trying to call the factory directly... PlyGem dealers should be a dime-a-dozen as they sell that product in most supply houses. Like I mentioned earlier, not a top tier product, but I'd put it in the second level with Simonton. Personally I'd choose the Plygem out of those two just due to the color arrangement.

• tabteacher
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Another problem we are having is that no where that sells windows in our area is open evenings or weekends. We were able to visit a Pella store last Saturday.
    So a contractor for the construction company who is doing our storm repair work came by late this afternoon with samples of Hurd & Marvin windows. He is the one working with our adjuster & insurance. My husband fell in love with the Marvin windows. The contractor gave us a rough estimate of $14,000 for the whole house with Marvin, $13,000 for Hurd, & actually Pella came in about $16,500. I know that was the Architect Series. I don't know enough about the other 2 brands to know if they even have different levels of windows, but I suppose they do. And I think he tried to compare apples to apples. All are aluminum clad outside & wood to be painted inside. This does include installation, but not the painting.
    We have 4 long windows in the front of our house with 6 over 9 panes/grids. The remainder of our windows are not overly large. We have a total of 10 "regular sized" windows. Do these prices sound about right? Right now for only a $1000 difference my husband wants the Marvin. He has ruled out Pella after hearing about the class action suit.
    Could anyone tell me a very rough estimate of what these 12 windows would cost in vinyl? Is there any kind of formula to use to figure that out?
    Again, thanks to everyone.

• tabteacher
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi HomeSealed--actually we want the opposite colors. White on the outside & almond on the inside. I can find several the other way around--white inside & almond outside.

• HomeSealed
    12 years ago

I understood you correctly tab, an almond extrusion will be solid almond inside and out. Then they paint the exterior white. The end result is a window that has almond inside and white outside...
    On what you've seen so far, the Marvin is the way to go IMO. Very nice window. Vinyl in comparison will often run 25-50% cheaper for a good product. Either material can be a good choice, it just depends on your priorities.

• tabteacher
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@ HomeSealed--I understand now. Sorry.

Thanks for the advice.

• tabteacher
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello--We went to look @ Marvin windows on Sat. The contractor who brought the samples said the grids could be different colors inside & out, as long as we used colors they had. One reason we went to see them. This salesman said that wasn't right. But now our contractor again says it is possible as special order. No idea on charge yet. So that leaves us with pop-out grills that would be a bear to paint 2 different colors & I think would break easily, or the grills/grids on the outside of the wood which would be a bear to wash. We also found out to have them painted, not including the pop-out grills or grids on the outside of the glass if we went that route, was $125 per window I think. And we now think installation wasn't included in the $14,000. Or having the windows come primed. Plus we found out we have to have tempered glass in 4 windows because the are so close to the floor. Supposedly they are going to contact us tomorrow with a more firm total. I know they are good windows. I kinda hate putting plastic grids in such nice wood windows, but don't know about the other 2 options either.

Simonton didn't pan out with the colors as we wanted them. A couple companies have mentioned painting the outside, but my husband won't go for painting vinyl & I kinda feel the same way.

I went to see Soft Lite on Monday & my husband had time to only run by & see the window. I got the talk. The salesman came by tonite & gave us a bid of $9,730. Free financing for 48 months which we don't want. Or a 46" TV which we don't need. And I guess we would have to go with white on both sides. I am having a hard time picturing camel painted woodwork in the whole house & white windows. Thoughts?

I did ask the Marvin salesman about fiberglass windows & he said Marvin only made them for new construction. So I am pretty sure he is wrong there & that seems like a pretty big mistake? So I wonder how reliable he was with the answers to our other questions? Also, he said we would be getting insert windows, not replacement windows. Is that just terminology, or are they 2 separate things?

I know this isn't a question. But I would love comments if anyone has any. I just don't know what to do. Deep in his heart my husband wants wood windows. I don't know what I want.

I really appreciate everyone's help & comments. The SoftLight salesman was happy to hear his windows were being recommenced so highly.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

White is the most common color window used in all construction either factory finished or site painted. I personally think it will look fine but I have not seen the house or your layout. I personally have seen hundreds if not thousands of homes that had white windows with another color (although not Camel specifically) trim and walls and never thought it looked strange or out of place.

• WindowDog
    11 years ago

I'm convinced that you're Marvin sales person doesn't work with Marvin enough to know what he's talking about. He's trying to steer you away from Marvin to something else possibly.
    Marvin absolutely makes fiberglass in an insert AND a full frame window. And listen, insert frames and full frames are both "replacement" windows. And for the most part, they are the same window with just a different "full" frame to accomodate the full wall thicknes of a complete tear-out. The insert merely sits in the existing opening and trim/moldings. In my experience, most contractors don't like doing full frames. You should have a knowledgeable contractor to help you decide which is most correct for you. It shouldn't be so hard to find. If it were me, I could tell you in 5 minutes of inspection which I would recommend, and what options you have. I feel bad that you're getting mixed information. Keep doing your due diligence, you'll figure it out.

• tabteacher
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@ WindowDog--thanks for the comments. We found another place that sells Marvin & they are also the only authorized installing retailer in our area. Does that make a difference? They are going to send a man to our house who they say will be able to answer all our questions.

I am feeling a little bit better that maybe we have found someone who knows what they are talking about.

Thanks also for not making me feel stupid--I appreciate that!

• WindowDog
    11 years ago

If that's the case it's probably and Infinity dealer. They will be a little more expensive, but I'm pretty sure they will be very good at what they do and will give you expert advice. Question them about the install in detail and you will learn a few things. Let us know how it goes.

• Jumpilotmdm
    11 years ago

Windowdog is your man.
    One thing you should know about some of the others. The class action suit[s] you mention were from a wood preservative made by PPG back in the 70's? that several window mfg's used. It was called Penta-treated and in some cases actually accelerated the rotting of the windows, usually at the sash joints. Marvin took PPG to court and lost, as did some others.
    So once again Mr. OJ Simpson, it doesn't matter what actually happened, it only matters who has the best lawyers.

• tabteacher
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@ Windowdog--I do think the man who came & measured our windows knew what he was talking about. He did tend to want to tell me what I should buy/order. In fact he got back to us today after I called him to see how the quote was coming & he had plugged in things we hadn't discussed when he made the quote.
    Unfortunately my husband couldn't be here when he came, but they have talked on the phone & we are going in to his office to talk to him.
    He also told me the grids could only be ordered in 4 standard colors inside. The other company told me 6 colors & then they told me special order could be any of their colors. He also told me that the grids that are removable & on the outside of the glass are set inside a frame & the frame just pops out. The other guy had ones to show us & you had to squeeze each grid to get it to come out.
    I really am beginning to wonder if any Marvin window dealers know their product.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

tab,
    You are probably seeing some confusion talking to different people about different lines. Marvin has multiple lines, and each has some different option availability. Depending on the line, all three of the grid types that you've described can be options.

• tabteacher
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@ HomeSealed. Thanks for the reply, but I don't think that is the case. We are looking @ the Ultimate Insert Double Hung @ both places. Clad on the outside & primed on the inside.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

All 3 grid options are available on the Ultimate. To me, if you are spending the premium $ on those windows in the first place, I'd get SDL grids. Then you don't need to worry about the color availability. The removable grids have clips that hold them in like you've described. The other guy was either wrong, or just explained it poorly... What other questions do you have regarding option availability? Several of us on the boards deal Marvin, so we should be able to get this all cleared up for you.

• tabteacher
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@ HomeSealed--we both love the looks of the SDL grids. They are beautiful. I'm just thinking of the cleaning. I washed my mom's windows enough when I was young. She actually had the individual panes of glass. I didn't realize the grids were on the outside too @ first. I thought the outside was a pane of glass & you just saw the back of the inside grids. Does that make sense? I thought that wouldn't be too hard to keep clean then.
    Do they add significantly to the price of the windows? I know that is a relative question.
    Thanks for your reply.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

The sdl grids do add significantly to the price. My view is that if you going for that window, you are already sacrificing a little bit of practicality for it's stunning good looks, so just go all the way and do the sdl's-- or at least the removable wood grids. The grids in the glass cheapen the look of that window IMO. I don't dislike them in general, but they make the ultimate look like "just another window".

• Linda Berman
    5 years ago

PGT

• millworkman
    5 years ago

Great tidbit of advice Linda but 6 1/2 years late.....................

• puravida926
    4 years ago

Did you end up with 2 different colors? Considering doing this on my house but just not sure if you will be able to see the exterior color from the inside..?