Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to stain Anderson interior pine window

Posted by judy7830 (lupine15@gmail.com) on
Fri, Mar 16, 12 at 0:32

If you want to make corrections, please use your web browser's Back button
Note to IE users: if you go back, you may need to Refresh this page in order to see what you typed before.

[Question: "House & Garden"]

-------------------------------------------
Need Anderson window stained
-------------------------------------------
We had an Anderson window installed for our kitchen remodel and the
contractor is refusing to stain it. Yesterday one of their subcontractors
dropped off a piece of wood with a dark brown stain on it and our windows
have a redwood stain. When we said it was the wrong color we were told
to find someone else to stain the window. The foreman said you need to
put on a dark brown stain because the sun changes the color to a reddish
tone over time. However, the new window screens out 97% of UV light.
We have a card from Behr with 50 sample exterior stains and one is a
perfect match for our window. Is anyone knowledgeable about how to stain the window? It is pine and will have fir trim around it.
Lupine15@gmail.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to stain Anderson interior pine window

Tape off the glass with painters tape. Tape off the wall. Take out the sashes. Stain. You might want to use a fast drying water base stain. Put the sashes back in. Next day, remove them again, then put your finish coat on. Let it dry for a few hours. Replace the sashes. Remove all the tape. Take your time, be neat, wipe the stain with a rag for even coating. Should be fine.

Get another contractor, that one is an ass.

o

Also get another brand of stain, try either Minwax, or Benjamin Moore, Sherwin Williams anything but that crap Behr. i would suggest a true paint store as well because you may need to mix several stains to get the exact color you need.

o
RE: How to stain Anderson int. pine window

also pine and fir will both take stain entirely different and look like completely different colors even using the exact same stain

o

I second that - don't use Behr. Every year I put Behr 10 year stain on my deck. lol!!

I suggested water base only because you don't have the strong odors.

Get your stain from a place that will custom mix it for you, and take both pine and fir pieces to them and have them play with it to get the colors the same. And remember, a little goes a long way - you probably won't need a gallon of it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here