Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nict_gw

looking for mid-range vinyl replacement windows in Chicago area

nict
14 years ago

We want to replace 11 double-hungs and one picture window in our house. The current windows are from 1951, so the draftiness and peeling paint have become too much to handle. We decided to look for a mid-range vinyl replacement since we plan to be in the home another 7-10 years. They are doing a lot of tear-downs in this neighborhood (sad), so I'm looking for windows that meet our needs and budget now and not planning that we'll necessarily get a lot of resale value from this project. That said, I'm hoping to get some recommendations on both windows and installers/companies that we might contact. So far, we've spoken to a private installer (uses Alside Ultra Maxx or Excalibur), Illinois Energy (Worthington), Sears (Wincorp), and Champion reps. Seen a lot of complaints on this site for both Alside windows and Sears installation and windows. Illinois Energy seemed to have a good product, but I can't find much info and it seemed pretty expensive (12K) for our house. We just spoke with Champion today, so haven't made up my mind on that yet. Simonton seems to be referred to often here, so we will contact them. I would really love to hear any experience or suggestions. We are new to this process and trying to learn what we can and do it right. Some bad experiences lately with other home projects, so hopefully this will be a good one! I would like a decent quality, good service, decent warranty, and mostly piece of mind with the install. I would also like it if we don't loose a lot of glass with the replacements. Please share your expertise and recommendations!

Comments (9)

• skydawggy
    14 years ago

Spammer. :7)

• nict
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Windows4U is some little questionnaire where I have to fill in my info and have someone contact me. I'm not looking for that. Doesn't anyone have real suggestions that would be helpful? This forum has so many questions with great info. I was hoping for the same!

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    14 years ago

Window4U is actually a very good contractor by the name of Dave that runs probably the most well respected window replacement company in Chicago. His phone number is on the website as well.

I suggested several brands in my previous post. The 4 brands that you have looked at so far are average at best and all high pressure sales organizations. You will get long sales pitches that start with vinyl windows costing over 1K per unit and drop as you haggle. That is an exhausting process and especially if you consider that the 4 windows that they would try to sell you are middle of the pack at exorbitant prices.

• awsdan
    14 years ago

Murphy's Windows on the south side. Good family company started by a retired cop, his kid runs the company now.
    No funny business, Jimmy will give you a straight deal plus they know what they are doing, top notch installers.

• skydawggy
    14 years ago

My advice would be to forget the brands you have already looked at as they are either poor quality or overpriced.

• Rasvan01
    12 years ago

Hello,

Try Midwest Windows, they carry Rehau products, the biggest vinyl manufacturer in Europe. Heavy duty windows, german vinyl, good prices. Or a medium duty window - from Chelsea building products, almost as good and cheaper.
    Call this number: 773.704.3919
    Ask for Steve, he is a construction engineer and glazing contractor for about 10 years in Chicago area.

• ode4minerva
    8 years ago

Is ClimateGuard's (aka Remodeler Supplier) windows out of Chicago held in any esteem?

• thedeuce53
    8 years ago

Another vote for Dave at Strong Windows. They do a great job and have great prices, we went with StarMark (which from my understanding is sort of the premium wing of Okna) and couldn't be happier. Great windows, great company, and Dave is fantastic.