Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
looking for mid-range vinyl replacement windows in Chicago area

Posted by nict (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 14, 10 at 0:05

We want to replace 11 double-hungs and one picture window in our house. The current windows are from 1951, so the draftiness and peeling paint have become too much to handle. We decided to look for a mid-range vinyl replacement since we plan to be in the home another 7-10 years. They are doing a lot of tear-downs in this neighborhood (sad), so I'm looking for windows that meet our needs and budget now and not planning that we'll necessarily get a lot of resale value from this project. That said, I'm hoping to get some recommendations on both windows and installers/companies that we might contact. So far, we've spoken to a private installer (uses Alside Ultra Maxx or Excalibur), Illinois Energy (Worthington), Sears (Wincorp), and Champion reps. Seen a lot of complaints on this site for both Alside windows and Sears installation and windows. Illinois Energy seemed to have a good product, but I can't find much info and it seemed pretty expensive (12K) for our house. We just spoke with Champion today, so haven't made up my mind on that yet. Simonton seems to be referred to often here, so we will contact them. I would really love to hear any experience or suggestions. We are new to this process and trying to learn what we can and do it right. Some bad experiences lately with other home projects, so hopefully this will be a good one! I would like a decent quality, good service, decent warranty, and mostly piece of mind with the install. I would also like it if we don't loose a lot of glass with the replacements. Please share your expertise and recommendations!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: looking for mid-range vinyl replacement windows in Chicago ar

You have pretty much picked all the worst of the worst so far. Not an insult, just the bad luck of the draw so far.

Best vinyl windows in Chicago area are going to be Soft-Lite, Okna, Gorell, Sunrise, and Simonton...in no particular order.

I would Google "Window4U" He runs a replacement company out of Chicago and has all the best brands at far better prices than you have seen so far.

Here is a link that might be useful: Strong Windows

o

Spammer. :7)

o

Windows4U is some little questionnaire where I have to fill in my info and have someone contact me. I'm not looking for that. Doesn't anyone have real suggestions that would be helpful? This forum has so many questions with great info. I was hoping for the same!

o

Window4U is actually a very good contractor by the name of Dave that runs probably the most well respected window replacement company in Chicago. His phone number is on the website as well.

I suggested several brands in my previous post. The 4 brands that you have looked at so far are average at best and all high pressure sales organizations. You will get long sales pitches that start with vinyl windows costing over 1K per unit and drop as you haggle. That is an exhausting process and especially if you consider that the 4 windows that they would try to sell you are middle of the pack at exorbitant prices.

o

Murphy's Windows on the south side. Good family company started by a retired cop, his kid runs the company now.
No funny business, Jimmy will give you a straight deal plus they know what they are doing, top notch installers.

o

My advice would be to forget the brands you have already looked at as they are either poor quality or overpriced.

o

Hello,

Try Midwest Windows, they carry Rehau products, the biggest vinyl manufacturer in Europe. Heavy duty windows, german vinyl, good prices. Or a medium duty window - from Chelsea building products, almost as good and cheaper.
Call this number: 773.704.3919
Ask for Steve, he is a construction engineer and glazing contractor for about 10 years in Chicago area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here