Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
reglazing a leadlight door question

Posted by pjb999 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 10, 09 at 23:46

I just got a leadlight type interior door from freecycle, a french door sort of thing. I knew it had one cracked pane but I assumed it was a wooden arrangement and therefore easy to fix.

The outer frame is wood, but the window part is 'leadlighted' or appears to be, the material's gold/sort of brass. At first I thought it might be one of those fake overlay things over a solid piece of glass, but if you gently push on the window, it seems to give a little like you'd expect a leadlight with individual panes to do.

So, in order to reglaze, I'm assuming the process would be to remove the beading, supporting the glass from underneath. Lift the frame off, exposing the whole glass part. The pane is in one of the corners (so I assume the way it cracked, it might have been too tight of a fit) so I was figuring the glass section will just pull out if there's no leadlighting around the outside, or cut it away, ease up the other edges, remove glass, insert new piece, etc.

Does this sound right? If it is indeed a solid piece of glass, this metal must be glued on, there's certainly no gap underneath.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: reglazing a leadlight door question

It should be wrapped with lead came all around the outside also.

For an edge piece you can cut the came (jewelers saw), remove the broken glass piece, clean out the groove in the came carefully, replace the glass, solder over the cuts, then re-putty the glass into the came.

Look under 'stained glass' for the general methods and techniques.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here