Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Proper way to install windows...?

Posted by slowdowntohurryup (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 14, 12 at 22:42

I know that is a very broad question/topic - yet we were checking out some "in the dry" houses and noticed that around some of the windows - the builders had either installed the window with fiberglass insulation around them or had just stuffed it around them. Initially wasnt too keen about this process and was wondering what the "above" standard is concerning installing windows. I was thinking that caulking would come into play somewhere (maybe they'll come back and caulk over..?
thx

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Proper way to install windows...?

We don't recommend the use of fiberglass insulation around window frames because fiberglass loses it's thermal advantages once it's compressed. We only use spray foam.

There's really no "standard" per se. Some contrators don't use anything at all and although we don't recommend that method as a general rule, it's something that should be discussed during the contractor interview process.

o

+1 to sky's advice.

Fiberglass is worthless because of its lack of R-Value and resistance to air movement.

Foam or sealant is the way to go. At the end of the day, it needs to be air tight whichever way you go.

o

thanks for the replies - that is along the lines of what i thought - was going to talk to the builder soon so we'll see what they say.

o

Also, check with the window manufacture. I know of at least 1 window company that states that if foam is used, it will void the warranty.

o

They are a dying breed but they are still out there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here