Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what's wrong with these this window ?

Posted by kateshome (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 22:02

I noticed these spots on two windows a few weeks ago. When it finally was a bit warmer I went outside to wash them but the spots are between the panes. Could it be that the seal is broken? We just moved into this house a few months ago and the previous owner had replaced the windows. But there are no markings on the glass or anywhere else on the window that tells us who the maker is. So who do I call to fix the problem? And does anyone have an idea what the problem may be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what's wrong with these this window ?

Correct. You have a seal failure in the glass unit. You'll need to identify the manufacturer if you want have it covered under warranty, otherwise a local glass shop can get a new IGU for you at a reasonable cost.

o

HomeSealed already answered you so this is a bit of an echo.

Failed sealed allow moisture to enter = condensation and failed low-e in most cases. Sometimes we see just bad low-e but this looks more like moisture related.

Is that a picture or operable unit?

Look for manufacturer's labels on the operable units and see if you can track it down that way.

o

It is an operable unit. We took the whole unit out and have examined every inch of it and can't find any label! I guess I'll have to call a glass shop.

o

Look in the head jamb and on the sides of the sashes. Search other windows that were replaced at the same time. Sometimes the label falls off a particular unit so you can search for days and not find it.

o

Have you looked through any paperwork the previous owner may have left with the house?
Contact the previous owner and ask where the windows came from, do not complain to them, just ask for their help.

theWindowNerd...

o

They didn't leave any paperwork on the windows, so I just sent an email to the owner asking for more info.

o

Check the other windows or take a picture from further back and I can tell you where to look.

o

Windowsonwashington - here is a picture of the window taken from farther back

o

Its a 2-Lite slider.

You need to lift one of the windows up and out of the track and look on the rails of the window (top and bottom) as well as where the window shuts into for the sticker.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here