Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
CHoice of patio door for screened porch?

Posted by scrappy25 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 21:52

I am thinking of adding a screened porch behind my dining room and preliminarily got estimates for replacing my two double hung windows with a French door. The proposals were s for Provia brand which I know is top of the line and I think the estimates were reasonable at less than 5k installed (custom sized to current window header, moving electrical outlet under the window,etc.). However that is still pretty pricey; I do not know how the door cost breaks down vs labor.

My question is, is there a less expensive door brand that would function just as satisfactorily in a protected space? It will be well protected by a roof over a large screened porch.

From the stock pictures it looks like there is a thin frame around the glass on the Provia doors, is that correct? I prefer a flush glazed appearance like that on the Andersen wood doors even though I know the Andersen's are inferior to the Provias. A gardenwebber on the building forum mentioned Plastpro french door as a door with a flush glazed appearance and showed some really nice pictures but that brand seems to be poorly regarded on this forum (see link below) Thermatru seems to be the runner up to Provia but again I believe it has that thin trim around the glass.

Any suggestions or should I just go for the Provia?

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of Plastpro french door with flush glazed window style

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: CHoice of patio door for screened porch?

Provia is a nice door at the end of the day.

5K is not that expensive at the end of the day if I am moving electrical and for a custom sized opening.

o

Not a bad price at the beginning of the day either, pretty aggressive actually for a great door and custom opening. There are a few manufacturers that offer flush-glazed slabs. Thermatru has them in select styles, and several different companies use plastpro for their base slabs as well.

o

+1 actually.

We don't touch electrical and getting a licensed electrician out there to move it is going to cost you a pretty penny.

o

OK. bottom line you guys are saying go for the Provia, I know the price was reasonable but was preferring the flush glazed look; sounds like that is not worth pursuing in your eyes.
thanks

o

The flush glazing is a nice look to be sure, but I'd go with the better door. That is a killer price on that door.

o

I also like the flush look.

Either way, that is a great door.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here