Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vate_gw

Marvin Windows free installation

vate
12 years ago

I'm just getting started with an "outside remodel" to include new roof and windows, and maybe siding, some rock facing work, and other exterior improvements.

Really like the Marvin windows in person, and they seem to get very good reviews across the message board universe, with some comments on their high price. We're interested in their replacement line, Infinity.

The local dealer here in the Atlanta area, AVI (avimartin.com) is having a "free installation" promotion through the end of February (estimate by end of Feb, order by mid-March). Of course nothing is free, but I figure maybe this is their slow time and they are trying to drum up business. The problem is, how in the heck can I tell if I'm actually getting a better deal or not? Since every window order is custom, is there any way to tell if they are just adding $400 bucks per window to cover the "free" installation?

FWIW, I do not have standard size double-hungs (which might be easier to compare). I've got an older soft contemporary with large, aluminum sliding windows. Example: kitchen window is 3' high by 4' wide; dining room is 4' high by 6' wide. I will hopefully be replacing these with "combo" windows (casement on each side; fixed picture window in the middle).

Thanks.

Comments (12)

• millworkman
    12 years ago

get a price from a second Infinity dealer

• vate
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Millworkman said:

>>>get a price from a second Infinity dealerIn the metro Atlanta area, there is only one Marvin Infinity dealer (two locations, same company). My understanding is that the Infinity line cannot be installed by a non-Marvin contractor, and that Marvin protects territory for their dealers (meaning I can't go to the Augusta, GA Marvin dealer and get a quote.)

• GulfBreezeWindows
    12 years ago

Really not much you can do.

Have them out, see if you like their price.

• millworkman
    12 years ago

its also tough to compare quality as far as I am concerned they have about the best unit

• dennisgli
    12 years ago

Are you set on fiberglass? Even if you are I'd get a quote for a different product just so you know how much you are paying for the "free" installation.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

Nothing is free...be certain of that.

• vate
    Original Author
    12 years ago

>>>Are you set on fiberglass? Even if you are I'd get a quote for a different product just so you know how much you are paying for the "free" installation.Not dead-set on fiberglass, but I like the thinner frame (than vinyl replacements) and the color options. I plan on getting other quotes for apples-to-oranges comparison.

They are coming out this week to discuss options and measure for the estimate.

• willtv
    12 years ago

We had Infinity windows installed about 2 1/2 years ago.
    To be more precise, 6 double hung, 23 casements, and a set of French doors.
    They are a great product.
    Ours is an English cottage style house built in 1923 of structural stone.
    Like yours, our windows are not "standard" size so the windows had to be custom sized.
    We live on Long Island so I'm sure your cost will be different.
    Including installation our windows cost $27,000.
    While not inexpensive, we think there is no better product on the market.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

The Infinity is a very nice window and has great looks to it.

Be sure that you compare thin vinyl to the Infinity if you are looking to mitigate glass loss. There are vinyl windows that are nearly the exact same size as the Infinity insert and will provide you with 95% of the same viewable glass.

• vate
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks willtv for the detailed information. I'm guessing the pricing in Long Island tends to be higher than the rest of the country. Still, it seems like you got a lot for $27K, especially since a French door can easily run $4K+ installed.

I'm also looking at Marvin's Integrity line, which is fiberglass exterior and wood interior. We will need a wood look for the interior of our house (or at least, not white). While the Infinity fake wood ("Everwood") looks pretty good and is stainable, it's still a laminate over the fiberglass.

• willtv
    12 years ago

Vate,
    Your right about the Everwood.
    One of the windows we have lives at the top of a stairway.
    It is 2 casements mulled together and has the everwood finish.
    We haven't stained it yet but will be doing so this spring.

• vate
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The Marvin rep took the measurements today and we talked options. New this year is that the Integrity line now can be ordered in custom sizes, which means that it can be used for some replacement applications. This would be good for me because the Integrity line offers an option of a real wood stainable interior with a fiberglass exterior instead of the fiberglass or artificial woodgrain (Everwood) interior.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living