Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crabycat

Cutting Edge II Tri Built Windows

crabycat
10 years ago

Has anyone had Cutting Edge II low E made by Tri Built windows installed in their home? Were you happy with the quality?

Comments (18)

• Karateguy
    10 years ago

It is a low end, builder grade window. It has some nice features and is not entirely unattractive, however when you look at the objective performance ratings it does not fair well, particularly in air leakage where it is one of the worst rated products on the market. It raises some questions about whoever is selling it as well, as they are typically contractors of the "fly-by-night", pick-up truck variety. It is also know as the MI 1650, Certainteed Bryn Mawr, and a few other names.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

+1

Wouldn't offer it to my clients as an option.

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

Agree, Cutting edge Tri built are low grade, flimsy, and poor performers.
    The more solid windows would be Okna / HiMark, Sunrise, Quantum 2, and Gorell 5300 to name a few.

• PRO
    Boland Construction Davenport Iowa 52803
    4 years ago

Tri Built have a great rating on all points, I disagree with you assessment of the window. It’s a solid window with an Energy Star rating. I have installed over 14000 windows in my career. I will put it against any vinyl out there.

• PRO
    4 years ago

What are those "all points" that you are referring to?

• oberon476
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Boland, why dig up a 6 year old (very short) thread to comment on a window that the vast majority of the people viewing this site have never even heard of?

But since you did it, I am also curious about the "ratings" and "all points" to which you refer.

• Windowmaster
    4 years ago

Tri built is a low end window. If you actually installed 14000 tri builts, you must have 14000 very angry and unsatisfied customers.

By the way Boland, your claim about 14000 windows just isnt adding up. In fact, you dont even have a website. Do you work out of a tree house? you’re not exactly taking the world by storm.

This organization has been operating for approximately 5 years. Boland Construction is estimated to generate $87,066 in annual revenues, and employs approximately 1 people at this single location.

• PRO
    4 years ago

I installed for several of the largest companies in the Midwest since 1996. I have been a sub for all those yrs. I have installed AMI, Soft Lite,Sunrise, Anderson’s,ProVia etc. I have also sold for several large companies in Iowa. My reputation is solid. You can trash any window made, none are perfect. You can attack me personally if you like. I don't mind. I will take the high road. It’s a better window then many on my list. And that list isn’t complete. You should back up your comments with technical examples not just your opinion.

• millworkman
    4 years ago

"You should back up your comments with technical examples not just your opinion."

You made the claims first and was asked to provide exactly the same.....................

• PRO
    4 years ago

Fair enough, the Extreme has a U-Value of 0.22 SHG of 0.23 and a VT of 0.41 the low end Pro window has a U-Value is 0.28 SHG 0.27 an a VT of 52. The frame is the same minus the foam on all three models. We always up grade the Pro to double strength glass. Bringing the U-Value to 0.27. The frame is heaver then a lot of them with a sloped sill. And they have a double bulb seal on the bottom sash. Air infiltration rating of .03 They are pretty solid. Beacon now carries them. The only reason I wrote anything here is it came up on an internet search. And I thought it was an injustice to the window. To get trashed with no stats. By the way Beacon is a billion dollar business. You really think there selling junk?

• millworkman
    4 years ago

I tried to look for this info but, if they are such a great window carried by billion dollar companies, how come their website doesn't work? What is the glass package they use for those numbers? Where are those numbers taken from on the window? Who tested the unit? And certainly a window of such high quality would be rated by the NFRC but I cannot seem to locate them on the website? Or Beacons?

• oberon476
    4 years ago

Beacon windows in florida???

• PRO
    4 years ago

Beacon Roofing Supply is nation wide. They sell a lot more then roofing. I was just on the windows web site with no Issues. They are AAMA and NFRC tested and rated. The numbers on the windows are standard glass packs.

• PRO
    4 years ago

The "pro" number of U-0.28, Air 0.03, and VT of 52 aren't bad. I wouldn't opt for the 0.22 window with that low a VT. Is there a link to the data or a brochure? What the the PG/DP number on that window?

There are a few windows out there that were definitely more "junky" 6 years ago (i.e. the time of this thread) that have gotten better via re-designs.

I don't, however, think the idea that a company says a "bazillion" of a given window is a defense of it being a quality product. Building supply houses sell a good bit of stuff that is crap because they make good money on them. They sell some quality stuff too, but I am not sure I would use the fact that they sell a "bunch" as a logical defense. That's all.

• millworkman
    4 years ago

What's the address as all I get is an Internal Server Issue? What is the standard glass pack? You should have the info off the top of your head since you have installed 1000's of these.

• PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    4 years ago

Beacon now owns Allied Building products and a few others (Tri-state, United Bldg Products and others rolled into one in my area). I believe that oberon's comment above is pretty accurate.

The Tri-Built, Cutting Edge, or other names given are simply private labels put on a product made by others. The last time I checked, the window offered under this label was the same as mentioned earlier, which is the MI 1650. It does have some nice features that make it seemingly competitive with some of the higher end windows (aforementioned sloped sill, foam filled frames, composite spacer, etc), however the actual ratings fall short in most areas. I believe that the air leakage rating is just short of the max allowable (.30) at .29 as opposed to the .03 mentioned. The U value (a .22 for triple pane) and DP ratings were not high end either... It should also be pointed out that this same product could be purchased at Menards and some other box stores, lumber yards, and supply houses.

That said, perhaps MI redesigned their product OR Beacon is using a different product under that label as of late? I'd have to agree with those opinions posted in 2014 and I'd say that they still ring true if the product is the same, but again if things have changed please do share your knowledge Borland. Stating that it "must be good" because a national roofing supply house sells it is not sound logic, and in fact, they generally have better luck with windows that are more driven by low price than quality or performance in my observation. Very similar to new construction homes in that regard, and in fact, that is where MI is a very popular choice and for that reason.

• Windowmaster
    4 years ago

Where i am, MI Windows are on the lower end scale of quality. Kind of flimsy with an undesirable ( high ) air infiltration rating.