Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ontariomom

interior windows

ontariomom
11 years ago

Hi all,

I want to put an interior fixed window between a windowless bathroom, and a laundry room that has a window. The laundry room window is ten feet across from the bathroom wall where the interior window would go. The bathroom ceiling height is 8 feet, so the window will need to be quite short, and probably frosted or somehow obscured for privacy in the bath. My motivation for the interior window is to bring some natural light into the bathroom. BTW, we have considered a sun tunnel, but we can't get the tunnel to this location.

How would I go about purchasing a suitable interior window? Would I get a trim carpenter to make such a window.

TIA,

Carol

Comments (20)

• millworkman
    11 years ago

A trim carpenter should be able to build this for you with no trouble and get a piece of pattern 62 or acid etched glass with no issues at a local glass shop.

• toddinmn
    11 years ago

glass block would be another inexpensive viable option.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi millworkman and toddinmn

Thanks for your thoughts. Should we do a double pane of glass for sound blocking if we get the trim carpenter to build as a window? As per glass block, we have tossed arond this idea, but have not seen too many examples of just a few rows of glass block at the top of the wall (our ceilings are 8 feet).

Below you will find the floor plan of the area we are considering, just in case you have anymore ideas. The room I am trying to bring natural light to is the top bathroom (the one with a shower stall). The window in the laundry room has moved to closer to the corner of the room and thus more directly across from the top bath. The lower bath in the picture will have a sun tunnel.

Carol

I hope it is okay to cross post this question on the decorating forum.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

You could go the IG route, use a pattern or acid etch with laminated in the other pane. It would help but probably only a little bit.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

could you IGU or just make your own IGU.

No need for it to be sealed as there is no concern of efficiency. A single piece of glass, of suitable thickness, will block plenty of sounds.

Depending on where it is in the bathroom, look at a laminated option as MWM mentioned.

Lamination and frosted would be all you need. Simple trim work to have a carpenter make a set of stops and you are good to go.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies. Please explain to me what you mean by IG and IGU. Also, for laminated do you plexi-glass? Sorry, but you guys lost me.

Carol

• millworkman
    11 years ago

IG or IGU is insulated glass unit. As windows says you do not need a sealed insulated unit and as no plexiglass in my opinion is not a good choice. Laminated glass is two thinner pieces of glass with PVB (type of plastic film) interlayer between the pieces of glass making a sandwich and being two pieces sound will not transfer through as well as a single piece of glass.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you millworkman for the clarification on terms. Do you think if I skipped the idea of an interior window in exchange for an exterior window in the hall directly across from the smaller, dark bath that would be better? I can put a frosted door on the bath. The proposed exterior window would be 10 feet directly in front of the bath door. I was thinking of a high up rectangle fixed window that might be say 26 inches wide by 15 inches high sort of like a transom, with the same header/space on top as the rest of our house windows? It wouldn't have to be a short window, but a short window would allow us to put a shelf under the window.

TIA for your opinion on this idea. I am determined to have natural light in this bath.

Carol

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a slightly more up to date floor plan of the problem area that shows a few other light sources (e.g. the sun tunnel in the larger bath). It also has the laundry room window in the correct location.

• toddinmn
    11 years ago

Could yo u get any light through the stairwell wall? How did you build the invisable wall?

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I do not think we could get light through the stairway wall -- there would have to be an interior window on both sides of staircase. If we did that we would still be around 17 feet until the south windows.

LOL, toddinmn about the invisible wall. That is just marked in to show us how much passage space we need in the great room to get to the staircase (i.e. we could not put furniture here). Just an imaginary hall if you will. It does seem funny with just a section of the floor plan showing.

Carol

• toddinmn
    11 years ago

The window to the laundry would be inexpensive, the window in the hall would require a bit more work an more expensive window and a new door. You sure seem hell bent on getting some light in that bath.

• PRO
    11 years ago

OntarioMom is one of the thoughtful consumers.

Having discussed this project and others with her, she knows what she wants and will get it the way she wants.

I appreciate a consumer that has a good idea of what they want personally.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Toddinmn, yes I am hell bent on getting some light in this bath if possible (You gave DH a good LOL with that statement). I am playing with your idea of putting the window through the stairwell wall as that would face several south windows!

Washington, thanks for your kind comments. I am a little too thorough for my own good, I'm afraid. I appreciate all the help you have given me with my endless questions.

Carol

• toddinmn
    11 years ago

WOW, so you agree she's nuts?

• PRO
    11 years ago

Ha Ha!!

Tomato...Tomahtoe.

Carol knows that she is about as detail oriented as possible and makes no bones about it.

We are all nuts in one capacity or another.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Some people are also rude, Toddinmn!

Thanks Washington for your support.

Carol

• toddinmn
    11 years ago

Did not mean to insult just having a little fun.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay toddinmn, I didn't realize you were teasing -- it is hard to read tone in a post so it caught me off guard.

Carol

• PRO
    11 years ago

Carol,

Don't mind Todd.

Todd wouldn't no seriousness if it came up and introduced itself to him.

This post was edited by windowsonwashington on Thu, Feb 7, 13 at 15:55