Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bumblebe_gw

Double hung windows over sink?

Bumblebe
12 years ago

Our kitchen remodel includes shortening 6 double hung windows so that we can put cabinets (including a sink) under the windows. I have always preferred the double hung windows, but I am getting opinions from window people that double hungs are hard to reach and open over a counter and that we should look at awning or casement windows. My preference is still the double hung.

Does anyone regret putting double hung windows over a counter?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (12)

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

I would agree that casements can be a better choice over a counter if a double hund would be uncomfortable of difficult to reach. Casements also allow better air flow. There are a few manufacturers like Sunrise and Simonton, to name a few, that make a casement with a double hung look to it.

I would try and get an idea of how uncomfortable it would be to lean over a counter and if it doesn't seem to be an issue, then go that way. I think your window people are just trying to make sure you are satisfied with everything.

• toddinmn
    12 years ago

How tall will the new windows be when shortened? Double hungs may block view or lose to much glass if too small.If this is not an issue I would use the same style of window that is on the rest of house since I prefer the uniformity in windows. I would not worry about the reach myself unless the window were really tall. I would also consider lowering the window so that the countertop runs into the window and aslo making the cabinets a little deeper for clearance behind faucet.Better yet post some pictures!

• PRO
    East Bay 10
    12 years ago

Marvin has some options (taller bottom rail and a simulated check rail) that make a casement window "look" like a double hung. That may solve your dilemma. Here's a link: http://www.marvin.com/windows/replacement-casement-windows/

Note: this is also available with the full frame or new construction as well.

• HomeSealed
    12 years ago

I've gotten nothing but rave reviews from the our clients who have installed awnings over their sink... That said, it is really about personal preference more than anything.

• pcweary
    12 years ago

For over 40 yrs., I lived with a double hung window over the kitchen sink and all that time, I could reach the window but never get the leverage to open the sash. Finally last month, I had a Marvin Ultimate Awning Window installed. What a joy! It has the divided lights with spacers and a retractable screen and I can also open it while it is raining. Looks just like my very traditional double hung but I can get more light now and I can open it. The opinions you are hearing from the window people is based on their experience with customers like me.
    Good luck.

• millworkman
    12 years ago

I agree with eastbay, I wold definitely look into either a casement or awning using the simulated checkrail to make it look like a double hung. Generally kitchens are in the rear of the house so appearance wise you would only see it from the back yard anyway.

• jessie21
    12 years ago

Bumble, I have a double hung over my kitchen sink and am having the same decision to make since we need new windows. It's a little bit of a pain for me to reach to open, yes. Two things that haven't been mentioned: 1, A double hung gives a pretty unobstructed view (which I love). Casement would put a big divider right down the middle of your view. 2, if you go with a casement or awning, doesn't that mean you have to have a screen on the inside of the window? I don't think I would like that. Hope this helps.

• HomeSealed
    12 years ago

jessie, I think you have a mixed up. A casement or awning has no center divider and provides the least obstructed view. You are correct though that the screen is on the interior. The plus about that, is that it is easy to remove in winter time so that you really get a crystal clear view.

• pcweary
    12 years ago

Yes, the screen is inside but with the Marvin Ultimate I was able to get a retractible screen. This means that I can get the most unobstructed view and by using the screen for only when it is opened, I do not have the problem of continuous screening directly over my sink. It is a win-win setup.

• HomeSealed
    12 years ago

Pc, that is a pretty cool option :)

• jessie21
    12 years ago

ooo, a retractable screen would be great! Homesealed, I think I understand what you mean. I was probably seeing it in my own kitchen and confusing it with what a slider would look like. Our window at the sink is pretty wide and although I guess they make them, I haven't seen a casement one that wide and kinda shortish. For me, if not double hung or awning, it would have to be a slider I think...thus the column down the middle. Our view with the current double hung is unobstructed cause I'm short enough to be below the mid-line!!! DH too, at 5 - 10 says his view is unobstructed. Sorry for my confusion!!

• HomeSealed
    12 years ago

No worries... The link below shows an awning window.

Here is a link that might be useful: awning