Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abfromnj

pella vs anderson

abfromnj
13 years ago

I know that there is a lot of discussion here about the two brands. I have to replace my old Pella sliding glass door that is about 26 years old. I went to the pella dealer and they have 3 different levels of doors ranging from 1500 to 3500 in cost. I also looked at the Anderson 400 series door and it is supposed to be their best and it was about 1800 dollars. I am confused on which one to purchase. I was thinking the middle Pella at 2500 dollars but is it worth it to get the 1800 anderson door? Also, looked at Marvin but too expensive. Please help.

Comments (16)

• mom270
    13 years ago

I am also in NJ and shopping for 12-foot vinyl sliding glass doors. An installer told me the Andersen door I was interested in would not fit in my space by about an inch, so definitely check your measurements carefully. I got an estimate from Pella which would apparently fit with a mullion and they are having a 40% off installation sale, although the price is still high. Waiting to hear from the installer about whether Simonton would fit my space. Good luck!

• skydawggy
    13 years ago

It would have been a 4 hour high-pressure sales pitch in which he would have tried to convince you that all windows other than RBA will rot or bow and any company other than RBA will rip you off and do a lousy install. He needed your partner there so you couldn't tell him you needed to talk to your partner before making a decision. He would have wanted a decision that day and would have offered you a price good only for that day.

You have a very good nose for sniffing out BS. What window have you decided to look at next?

• mom270
    13 years ago

Troy, Yes, Renewal By Andersen's sale practices are like something from the 1950s. They told me they require a 90 minute in-home presentation and that both spouses had to be there. I am a woman and earn as much as my husband, actually a bit more. I told them I considered their sales practices sexist and I did not want to do business with them. They called me three more times after that! Ridiculous. I hate a hard-sell and would never do business with them.

After considering Pella and Andersen from a lumberyard that was NOT Renewal by Andersen, we went with a custom sized Andersen Frenchwood Gliding Door. Should be in in 3 weeks.

• softgrey Grey
    8 years ago

I know this post is from 2011...and we're in 2015 but I'm just so ticked that this is what's happening in 2015. I just got the same treatment from Andersen Renewel. They would not set up the appointment without my husband's presence. The supervisor got on and asked me about my project and question why I want to replace an existing 6 year old window, why I'm doing it first as part of kitchen remodeling; "it usually goes it last...and it takes 12 weeks." I already told her that I am only name on the deed. They kept insisting how flexible they are. My husband does not want to be in the meeting as he travels and is busy and the last thing he wants to deal with is the house on his precious weekends. I get that they want to make the sale when they come out, but don't talk to me like I'm stupid and that I can't make monetary decisions. My husband can tell you that I am adequately if not well versed in spending his money without his input!! Andersen Renewal's attitude toward women is sexist and they lost me and every woman I know as customers.

• millworkman
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

If it were he on the phone they would insist you be present, not sexist they want any and all decision makers present. That is the way they work, high pressure sales pitch "tin-man" style.

• softgrey Grey
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I am the sole owner of the house, I told them that. Doesn't matter, there are plenty of other companies who don't mind me as only decision maker and willing to wait for a decision.

• millworkman
    8 years ago

I agree and believe I am not sticking up for them or their sales practices.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    8 years ago

I agree that it feels slimy and can't help but come off as insulting when a company insists on it.

That being said, we now stress the importance of both people being home for the congruity of the project. I can't tell you how many times that person "X" thought it was going to be one way and person "Y", the other way. It has created some havoc in our world before and even though the contract was signed and the work was produced in a manner consistent with contract, we have had problems before.

• softgrey Grey
    8 years ago

@ Window on WA, I understand where you are coming from, but I have yet to even decide if I will be hiring them. It's also arrogrant on their part that we would agree to go with them if they have us both in room together. They basically said to me that I alone is not worth their time.

• PRO
    8 years ago

softgrey,

I don't disagree with any of your assessment. I am not sure the investment in time to look at that window in this case is even worth it to be honest. It is not anywhere near what most would view as a proven performer. There are ways to phrase things that are less offensive and insulting. We do strive to have both folks present because if we can resolve all of their questions while onsite, why not pick up the contract on the first visit. Where we are located, crossing town at nearly any given time of day can be a multiple hour affair. That is a few hours of savings that we can put back into our day should both parties be home on the first visit.

Again, I agree with you that to have that as a benchmark is fairly unattainable in this area. It is nice to have everyone there at once to be able to review project scope and selections.

• softgrey Grey
    8 years ago

I understand their/your need for efficiency. The issue I have is that you are all under the assumption that I cannot make the decision on my own. I never said I would not sign the first contractor, I never got to set up an appointment; They won't set up an appointment "without all residences present." Anyway, thanks for your input, I won't be losing sleep over this, The world is big and plenty of people who wants to earn my money.

• millworkman
    8 years ago

In all honesty if your husband were calling they would give him the speech, that you needed to be there as well. Again not sticking up for RBA just stating facts.

• PRO
    8 years ago

+1

I don't think any of these policies are borne any misogyny on the contractors part. Customers, should only one of the homeowners sign the contract, have successfully avoided paying their bill before because of contract law in some states. Organizations that are more corporate know this potential and are far more stringent on their policies.

• docsknotinn2day
    8 years ago

I have to agree with WOW. While I find it annoying that some companies want the spouse/partner there it is becoming common practice and frankly I don't blame the contractors/sales people who do this. I can even imagine what a kerfluffle it must be to order something like Windows and then have a second party dispute the order.

Having said that I've gone down the path with the smarmy Renewal sales people. Anderson makes some nice products but the Renewal is not a product I'd even consider.

• parisgirl
    4 years ago

I happened on this comments section just now. It is Oct. 31, 2019 and I had the same sort of conversation this morning with the Arizona office. I am calling the main office tomorrow. Thank you for sharing the information. You did the right thing :)