Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can a window made for 2 X 6 walls be installed on a 2 X 4 Walls

Posted by Firsthome21 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 22, 12 at 16:49

Can 6-9/16 factory applied jambs on a window be installed on a 2 X 4 framing?

If yes, what does one have to do to do accomplish this.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can a window made for 2 X 6 walls be installed on a 2 X 4 Wal

They will project approx 2" into the house depending on your interior finish.

o

If the window has applied jamb extensions (4 9/16" with 2" jamb extensions as an example)you should be able to remove the jamb extensions. Usually they are attached with corrugated fasteners or something like that. Just take your time and the window should be fine.

o

+1

Trim it down or remove it and re-do it.

o

Thanks,

If I trim it down or take off the jamb, would it compromise the integrity of the window?

I am not much of a handyman, so will ask my framing guy to do it. Do you guys think this would be a annoying request for the framer to strip down 6 windows n install n bigger question would a framer know how to do this?

o

No, won't change the window and no, framer should be able to do it quite easily.

o

Is there a guide or video that shows or gives details on how to do this?

o

Look at YouTube first but if nothing there, check with either the manufacturer of the window or your local sales rep. It depends on how the jamb extensions have been attached. As I said earlier, it isn't a big deal to remove, just a hassle.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here