Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problem w/ new windows - when to pay contractor

Posted by techista (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 25, 10 at 16:42

Hi,

We just got the old windows in our 85-year-old house replaced with new Jeld-wens. The windows themselves look great and the contractor did an excellent job, even correcting the 'work' of a previous contractor, but many of the sashes, especially upper ones, seem too tight. Contractor agrees there is an issue and has notified supplier (Home Depot) and Jeld-wen. Contractor is asking for payment in full (gave 1/2 down at beginning of project), but I'm hesitant to pay this off.

My thinking is that although the quality issues with the windows aren't directly the contractor's fault, the job is not yet completed. I'm leaning toward offering the contractor 80% of the balance, with the remaining paid immediately upon resolution of the quality issues. Is this strategy right or am I missing something here?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problem w/ new windows - when to pay contractor

Ahhhh.... No.

Do not pay him anymore till the problem is solved.

Did he measure and supply the windows?

There is a possibility the manufacturer may say they are installed incorectly at 80% you will get stuck with a porly done job needing more money to fix.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here