Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ocada

Windows for addition to a historic home in southern california

ocada
10 years ago

Hello everyone,

So I have a 1928 Tudor style home in Orange County, CA which we're planning to add about 800 sq. feet to. The addition would extend from the back of the house for the most part, but part of it would still be visible from the street.

The reason I mention that is we have original wood windows in the house currently that we're hoping to hold onto or at least put off replacing, but for the new construction we're looking at more updated window materials.

So I know that Vinyl and Fiberglass are the most popular options. As of right now we're leaning Marvin fiberglass because if we keep the wood windows we can choose to paint and match them if we decided to change the trim color down the road. Fiberglass also appears to be higher end and have a nicer finish than the Vinyl i have seen(milgard for example).

However, especially in regards to Marvin fiberglass, these windows are expensive and given the rather mild climate I live in, do I really need a great window like a marvin?

I feel like we're leaning towards the fiberglass simply because of ascetics and accepting the cost not for practicality reasons, but just looks. I know there are higher end vinyls out there (i've seen okna, starmark, sunlight, etc), but they all seem to be east coast based and unavailable out here.

I've also started to look at Kolbe's as they seem to have a nice look, but seem to be less than the Marvin's, but I know little about the windows themselves.

Any advice anyone could give would be really appreciated. We're looking at something like 12-15 double hung windows and I don't want to spend 1/4 my budget on my addition just on windows if there are better options out there.

Thanks for your time on this matter.

Comments (3)