Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Marvin Ultimate double hung are a huge disappointment. see pics

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 26, 12 at 16:36

Our new construction home has Marvin ultimate double hung windows, half of which have already had their sashes replaced due to terrible craftsmanship or cracks. We are so disappointed as the cost of these windows was not small and we really splurged to get what we thought was the best. Anyway, we are still awaiting replacement of many of the sashes, but did a walk around the exterior of the house and found even more problems. The joinings are not even or flush on the windows or the patio doors, the area where the mullions meet the sash frame are inconsistent and uneven, in some places they have huge gaps. I'm including a link that has three photos of exterior images of these windows that pretty much typify what they look like from the outside. These issues are identical on the inside and we're really unhappy. Our current house has standard Pella windows that look a million times better. Please comment on the images and let me know if you've seen better from Marvin or if you think we should expect better for $60,000 worth of windows. thanks so much.

Here is a link that might be useful: exterior window detail photos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Marvin Ultimate double hung are a huge disappointment. see pi

Having sold/installed many of both, I can say that the Marvin Ultimate is a much better product than the Pella. If there were cracks and damage I'm guessing that this was due to improper handling of your windows. Gaps and or unevenness in the reveals is more likely to be an installation issue. Have you gone over these concerns with your contractor?

o

The windows were like this before they were removed from the shrink wrap. We are positive it is not an installation issue. The wood or clad having uneven joinings and major gapping is due to imprecise craftsmanship. The Marvin rep saw them and said most needed to be replaced. But even the replacements are the same. It's very sloppy looking inside and out, especially given the money we spent for these. Thanks.

o

When we built two years ago, I researched, read reviews and decided on the Marvin double hung. It was a tough sell to DH due to the cost when there were other good windows for less. It was stressed to us that they be installed correctly and luckily, our framers were meticulous in having everything leveled & straight including the installation of the windows. We have not had a single problem with any window (#20), many that have transoms, plus six atrium doors. I agree with @homesealed about talking with your contractor. It seems to me (and I certainly am no expert... or even close), the likelihood that THAT many windows are defective is unusual, AND by replacing parts of the windows, if the original problems are not corrected will be a nightmare once you are moved in. I hope you can get this fixed to your satisfaction. Good Luck!

o

Contact your local Marvin Distributor & ask for their Rep. & the Marvin Factory Rep. to look at these Issues.

o

Our builder was very disappointed in the windows. The sashes were put together incorrectly in the factory, this had no bearing on the installation. Our builder's guys have put Marvin windows in many times. The Marvin rep said they were unacceptably built and insisted the sashes be replaced. He has not been out to seen the new ones, nor has he examined the exterior, which is where the problems I just posted pictures of occur. It's incredibly frustrating to us that not a single window looks decent or well made. The mullions not fitting onto the sash consistently is also a terrible-looking issue. Uggh.

o

Where are the pictures?

Marvin is a solid company and will fix anything that is their problem and responsibility.

o

Windows on Washington--Here's the link to the photos. they're at the bottom of the post:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/build/msg0216483131210.html?3

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread w/ Photos at Bottom

o

Definitely some manufacturing defects in the pictures there.

I am sure they will fix them up for you.

They are a solid company in my dealings with them.

o

+1 on windows, I have sold quite a few Marvin products (although several years ago now) and they have always stood behind there products.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here