Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sirraf69

Kentucky New Construction

sirraf69
10 years ago

Getting ready to start our home within the next month here in KY, and have been shopping around for windows. Most around here push the Silverline, Quaker, and Comfort View. Is there any other brands I should be looking at? We want vinyl double hung that will give us good efficiency without breaking the budget.

Comments (13)

• Window-Geek
    10 years ago

What area of KY are you located?

Ask the reps of whoever you are getting prices from from some 10 year old projects that you can go look at. It will give you an idea how well the windows will hold up, and will you be replacing them in 10 years.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

Are you the GC on the home?

• sirraf69
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm in southcentral KY and I will be the GC. I read reviews of windows, but there are good and bad for all of them.

• PRO
    10 years ago

Probably true. If you make enough windows, you are going to have a few bad apples.

Also worthy of note that I have seen more than my fair share of improperly installed windows that bore the brunt of the blame when they would have worked just fine if they were installed properly.

In Vinyl, I really like the Okna line up as well as the Kensington Quantum 2, and the Home Guard Innovations.

• sirraf69
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just got a quote for Wincore 500 series. The price was right. From what I've read, they seem like a good window. Any thoughts? Thanks

• PRO
    10 years ago

Pretty solid window.

Basically a clone of the Simonton offerings.

Can run a bit bulky and check the air numbers on them.

• sirraf69
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks windowsonwashington. From the other quotes the Wincore are averaging around $50 cheaper per window. What should I look for on the air numbers?

• PRO
    10 years ago

I would like to see sub-0.05 in a DH operator but that is going to eliminated most windows.

Solid construction, good company support, and installation quality are critical when it comes to long term performance.

• sirraf69
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Most I've been quoted on are around .12. I got a quote for Allside & Vintech Both of those are close in price and seem of same construction, but I really don't know what I'm looking at anyway.

• sirraf69
    Original Author
    10 years ago

windowsonwashington,

Just found out the Wincore 500 series has an air rating of .24 Should that be enough to eliminate these? Like I said, I'm no expert in windows.

• PRO
    10 years ago

When you compare it to the nicer windows out there...it does add up to a pretty substantial difference.

I would keep looking.

• sirraf69
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info. I want to make a good decision on my windows. Any suggestions on brands I should be looking at? Looking at ViWintech now. Seems they have decent numbers all the way around.

• PRO
    10 years ago

I would search for those more commonly recommended brands in your area and see if they are available.

Sunrise, Okna, Polaris, etc.

See if you can get one of those options first.