Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kentucky New Construction

Posted by sirraf69 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 16:33

Getting ready to start our home within the next month here in KY, and have been shopping around for windows. Most around here push the Silverline, Quaker, and Comfort View. Is there any other brands I should be looking at? We want vinyl double hung that will give us good efficiency without breaking the budget.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kentucky New Construction

What area of KY are you located?

Ask the reps of whoever you are getting prices from from some 10 year old projects that you can go look at. It will give you an idea how well the windows will hold up, and will you be replacing them in 10 years.

o

Are you the GC on the home?

o

I'm in southcentral KY and I will be the GC. I read reviews of windows, but there are good and bad for all of them.

o

Probably true. If you make enough windows, you are going to have a few bad apples.

Also worthy of note that I have seen more than my fair share of improperly installed windows that bore the brunt of the blame when they would have worked just fine if they were installed properly.

In Vinyl, I really like the Okna line up as well as the Kensington Quantum 2, and the Home Guard Innovations.

o

I just got a quote for Wincore 500 series. The price was right. From what I've read, they seem like a good window. Any thoughts? Thanks

o

Pretty solid window.

Basically a clone of the Simonton offerings.

Can run a bit bulky and check the air numbers on them.

o

Thanks windowsonwashington. From the other quotes the Wincore are averaging around $50 cheaper per window. What should I look for on the air numbers?

o

I would like to see sub-0.05 in a DH operator but that is going to eliminated most windows.

Solid construction, good company support, and installation quality are critical when it comes to long term performance.

o

Most I've been quoted on are around .12. I got a quote for Allside & Vintech Both of those are close in price and seem of same construction, but I really don't know what I'm looking at anyway.

o

windowsonwashington,

Just found out the Wincore 500 series has an air rating of .24 Should that be enough to eliminate these? Like I said, I'm no expert in windows.

o

When you compare it to the nicer windows out there...it does add up to a pretty substantial difference.

I would keep looking.

o

Thanks for the info. I want to make a good decision on my windows. Any suggestions on brands I should be looking at? Looking at ViWintech now. Seems they have decent numbers all the way around.

o

I would search for those more commonly recommended brands in your area and see if they are available.

Sunrise, Okna, Polaris, etc.

See if you can get one of those options first.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here