Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bloozeman

Weather Shield Sliding Patio Doors vs. Andersen 400 Series Glider

bloozeman
15 years ago

I am in the process of deciding on what brand and model of french door look sliding glass doors to buy for replacing my existing old aluminum sliders. I originally had looked at the Andersen 400 Series and Pella's comparable product (can't remember the exact model name off hand) and had decided to go with the Andersen product.

Recently I became aware of Weather Shield's products in a roundabout way, i.e., Home Depot's Home Services division was out at the house to measure and bid on the 3 windows I need replacing as part of the overall project and the rep mentioned they could do the sliding glass doors as well. It turned out though that they could not supply the Andersen product (even though Home Depot sells it in the store) but rather had a "custom" product they market under the Sequel brand. With a little bit of querying the rep disclosed that it is something made for them by Weather Shield.

As it turns out HD's Sequel is indeed made by Weather Shield, and is really just Weather Shield's Collections series rebranded. I also discovered there is a Weather Shield showroom local in my area so after talking to the rep there it appears that their signature Weather Shield line is more equivalent to the Andersen 400 series although it does offer more choices in interior wood options, etc.

From what I can tell the Weather Shield product is well made and I like that it has aluminum vs. vinyl cladding for the exterior. Also the additional interior wood options are a plus. The price is very similar to what I have received for the Andersen 400 series although slightly cheaper. From a warranty perspective, Weather Shield's has a similar 20 year glass and 10 year non-glass coverage but is not transferable (not a big issue in my mind). However, the rub I do see is that for the last 10 years of the glass warranty they will only provide replacement parts at 50% off of current pricing.

Does anyone have any experience with Weather Shield's Weather Shield line? Any experience with their Collections or Legacy Series may be helpful as well since they are likely very similar in base construction.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (14)

• ibwindows
    15 years ago

After 15 years I have managed to take all my weathershield products to the dump. Yes they had a 20 year warranty, unfortunately everything that failed with them wasn't covered.

Read the fine print.

• ibwindows
    15 years ago

Just a few of the problems.

Fogged glass after 4 years, replacment supplied at pro rated cost... Twice the price I could buy it locally. Plastic parts broke they no longer had replacements for. Foam in jambliners just gave out allowing unlocked windows to self tilt.

• tube
    15 years ago

I've ran into problems on both. Weather Shields rotting out and Anderson's vinyl chalking over time. Fiberglass would be my choice.

• ibwindows
    15 years ago

Rot sends a window to the dump and means buying a new one. Chalking is corrected with soft scub. I can buy a heck of alot of soft scrub for the price of a new window.

• michiganman
    14 years ago

The question was about patio doors. Why are windows being brought up? I'm trying to decide between Pella, Weather Shield and Marvin. If anyone has any advice or experience on PATIO DOORS that they would like to share, I would like to hear it.

• afsa
    14 years ago

their answers were about a lack of a company backing up a product and poor design, workmanship and parts. But since your interested only in their doors, their great no problem they used all the crap in a different plant on their window lines. WTF

• michiganman
    14 years ago

Hey afsa, Weather Shield does have a bad design on their windows, but I'm told that is not the case with their sliding doors. Do you have any worthwhile information to share?

• afsa
    14 years ago

Only that I have sold Weathershield, wood, clad and Visions 2000 vinyl and would not put any of them in my dogs house. Windows or Doors, but that is just my opinion

• michiganman
    14 years ago

So who do you think makes a decent patio sliding door? I need a custom size (10' x 7'), so I'm told Andersen isn't an option. Marvin will customize for about twice the price of Weather Shield. I've seen a lot of complaints about Pella. Any other suggestions?

• michiganman
    14 years ago

So who do you think makes a decent patio sliding door? I need a custom size (10' x 7'), so I'm told Andersen isn't an option. Marvin will customize for about twice the price of Weather Shield. I've seen a lot of complaints about Pella. Any other suggestions?

• afsa
    14 years ago

Personally I would go with the Marvin, although i do not currently sell Marvin when i did I found there sliding doors to have about the least amount of service call backs of anything believe it or not this side of Anderson. But since they do not make a custom size they are not a realistic choice. I have found Weathershield and its sister companies, Vetter, Peachtree and Crestline to not stand beind there product very well. If it was available through a reputable distributor you may have a chance but i don't trust the company.Just my honest opinion. Yes Marvin is expensive but i truly believe in Windows and Doors you get what you pay for and there is a reason they are more $$$$.

• HU-341546034
    last year

When I built my home 23 years ago the contractor would only install Weathershield products. I asked him to switch to Pella but he refused. He stated that the weathershield products were far superior to all other brands. I should have "FIRED" that builder. I allowed him to build my house and use the best wood and exterior clad doors and windows that they had at that time The Weathershield windows and especially the 4 section sliding patio door have been a disaster. We had numerous problems and the factory people and their REPS were a joke. We have lived with our bad decision since our house was built. I can't attest to the quality of their products today but when we bought them 23 years ago it was our biggest mistake.

• millworkman
    last year

It's no better but honestly Pella is just as poor a choice.

Sponsored
Dream Outdoor Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Quality Home Improvements in South Riding for Over 30 Years