Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
applex_gw

Vinyl window installation question?

applex
10 years ago

Im sure i already know the answer but here goes.
About 3 years ago i had replacement windows installed and i am very happy with the windows, i actually paid a little more to get a quality brand rather than home depot or andersen vinyl which i was warned not to get.
So, 4 days ago i noticed water coming through the outer part of my inside window trim towards the bottom. I had a handyman tell me it was the window installers responsibility to cap the outside trim. Well, i called my window installer who came the next day and said it wasnt his responsibility. He said the contract specifically stated that i do not get a full capping. He claims his install was perfect. In his defense he did ask to do a full cap but because i wanted to maintain a certain look and keep my window trim matched with my wood siding, i chose not to full cap. I guess i should of been more proactive in painting the outer trim to protect the exposed wood.
Looks like the leak is coming between casing and wood shingles. Looks like some casing rotted due to the bad winter we had. The window installer can fix it but he says he has to charge me.
Sound correct?

This post was edited by applex on Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 16:08

Comments (3)