Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vinyl window installation question?

Posted by applex (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 16:05

Im sure i already know the answer but here goes.
About 3 years ago i had replacement windows installed and i am very happy with the windows, i actually paid a little more to get a quality brand rather than home depot or andersen vinyl which i was warned not to get.
So, 4 days ago i noticed water coming through the outer part of my inside window trim towards the bottom. I had a handyman tell me it was the window installers responsibility to cap the outside trim. Well, i called my window installer who came the next day and said it wasnt his responsibility. He said the contract specifically stated that i do not get a full capping. He claims his install was perfect. In his defense he did ask to do a full cap but because i wanted to maintain a certain look and keep my window trim matched with my wood siding, i chose not to full cap. I guess i should of been more proactive in painting the outer trim to protect the exposed wood.
Looks like the leak is coming between casing and wood shingles. Looks like some casing rotted due to the bad winter we had. The window installer can fix it but he says he has to charge me.
Sound correct?

This post was edited by applex on Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 16:08

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vinyl window installation question?

"In his defense he did ask to do a full cap but because i wanted to maintain a certain look and keep my window trim matched with my wood siding, i chose not to full cap."

You were right...you knew the answer :)

o

Can you post up a picture? Sound like you are getting water between the trim/sill wood.

A full exterior trim wrap would mitigate this but obviously not fit the aesthetic requirement you need to maintain.

o

Might just need caulking, even capping relies on caulking in a drip cap can not be installed.Use a good sealant such as Quad by OSI, Vulcem, Geocel or other urethane based sealants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here