Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertwest

HELP! I think my windows were installed backwards!

desertwest
13 years ago

I had 12 Milgard fiberglass windows installed over the last 3 months. I can't believe all the problems they had but that is another story.

4 were picture windows. The 2 sides are different. On once side the window is more flush with the frame. On the other side the window is inset about 1.5". On 3 of my windows the flush side is on the INSIDE.

I have photos I can provide. 2 questions:

1. Does anyone know which is the right way? Should the flush side be inside or outside?

2. If they are backwards, does it matter in terms of integrity of the window? In other words is one side built more weather resistant than the other?

The 4th window is the biggest and the flush side is outside. It actually has a 2.5" inset on the INSIDE. It is double pane and the other 3 are triple which might explain the inset width difference.

Thanks for any help!

Comments (7)

• desertwest
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK - I have learned my windows were not installed backwards. I have had so many issues with this order and install, I'm being a bit paranoid. So far I like the product and have had no issues with that, but the sales rep and company have made 4 mistakes on my order from the wrong size to missing grids to non-matching grid patterns. My windows were supposed to be installed by Thanksgiving and now it may not all be fixed until March. But I still like the product.

• stevo84
    5 years ago

I hope I'm not opening old wounds but this is the only relevant result that came up on my search. I just moved into a new construction home with about 25 Milgard windows and we have caught numerous issues. Today I noticed our picture windows are like yours. To solidify my concern the AAMA sticker present on all our windows are inside EXCEPT on all the picture windows. Who confirmed your windows were fine? The installer or a Milgard representative?

• PRO
    Milgard Windows & Doors
    5 years ago

Hi @stevo84 - It's the responsibility of the purchaser, in this case, the builder to confirm that the windows they received are void of defects in materials or workmanship. Please reach out to them. If you require additional assistance, you can call our service department at 1-800-Milgard. Thank you.

• millworkman
    5 years ago

stevo84, post up a couple of pics it should be easy enough for any of the window guys here to answer if they were installed backwards or not. Other details may be tough but that "should" be an easy answer.

• stevo84
    5 years ago

Attached are pics of interior and exterior views of a picture window:

And regular :

• stevo84
    5 years ago

Correct. Its only the picture windows that have me concerned and the sticker is what grabbed my attention.