Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sunrise windows question

Posted by mark101 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 16, 12 at 15:05

I am getting sunrise windows but have an install question..my home has standard wood casing on the outside, however, just above top casing is a drip cap. i know the casing gets capped with aluminum but all the contractors i spoke with say you dont cap the drip cap ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sunrise windows question

drip cap would be installed under the siding and over the alum casing caping, essentially just as it is now except over the alum.

o

I don't like to remove drip caps. Either that or we install new ones.
They are there for a reason.

o

OK.. SO THEY JUST CAP THE 4 SIDES AND LEAVE THE DRIP EDGE WOOD EXPOSED?

o

+1 to sky's feedback.

o

Drip caps are metal, not wood. Sounds like you have a Cornice (correct term?) over the window.

Normally not capped because they are decrative. If capped then usually done in a way to make it look nice. Or replaced with a new PVC/Composite style.

o
RE: sunrise windows question re

Or, if it is a metal drip cap, they can wrap all the sides and tuck the top wrap under the cap. Tha drip cap should not be removed unless it is going to be replaced.

o

this is replacement, not new construction. when the windows are being installed the contractor will install a strip of aluminum that covers half the old sill and is then bent outward. it doesnt seem to bend upward at all on sides ( jamb), is that a problem? he just caulks the sides where aluminum meets jamb.
he said this will serve as extra protection.
i guess this is called a sill pan?
is aluminum ok to use even though its conductive and new window sits on top of it?

o

thats good practice. aluminum is fastened to the original sill and L'ed outward. foam should also be added between new window and original sill for extra protection/ insulation.
never heard of a condensation issue.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here